Receiver failing, need input on new one.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Random Digits, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Random Digits

Random Digits Auditioning

Hello readers,

I've recently had my receiver's center channel go poop on me and I'm on the lookout for another one as listening to everything in 2.1 is starting to cripple me (kidding). It's been a long time since I've gone shopping for a receiver and I'm really overwhelmed with all the new options and features. So I'm looking for a little guidance to narrow the playing field down a lot and to get me caught up on some things.

What I'm looking for.
    ~$400-$500 range
    ~70+ watts.

Bonus stuff, but not required.
    ~Auto EQ
    ~WiFi would be great, but I'm not sure if its feasible.
    ~HDMI upscaling if possible.
    ~anything past 5.1 is fine but I doubt I'll be upgrading anytime in the near future.

My current setup.
    Plasma --- Panasonic TH-42PX60U
    Satellite --- VIP211
    DVD Player --- JVC XV-FA95
    Receiver --- YAMAHA - RX V596
    Center ch. --- Paradigm CC-370
    Mains --- Paradigm Monitor 7's
    Surrounds --- Paradigm Monitor 3's
    Sub --- SVS PC-Ultra

Normal use is for movie's, both DVD as well as Satellite. I also frequently listen to streaming audio from the Internet and Sirius channels from my Satellite provider. I also have a few audio dvd's. So good clean power for 2.1 as well as 5.1 is a major requirement.

I'd appreciate any and all input or suggestions to point me in the right direction. If I missed anything please let me know.
    ~Cheers~

**** EDIT ****
    I wanted to thank everyone for their input, I finaly decided on the Onkyo TX-SR703 that i picked up for $539 (free shipping) from J&R.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Onkyo TX-SR603X 90x7
    Denon AVR-1707 75x7
    Yamaha RX-V559 95x6
    Yamaha RX-V659 100x7
    Sony STR-DG800 100x7

According to Crutchfield these are all "full brandwidth" rated on their power. In the past Sony has not been misleading in their power ratings allowing them to market crap to unsuspecting consumers. The only reason the Sony is in the list is because it is the only one with HDMI switching. Generally speaking, without having tested the Sony, I would say the Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha's would sound infinately better. I have heard the Denon powering Paradigm monitors in a decent soundroom and has a good sound. The Denon will likely be the best choice for sound. The Yamaha's have the Yamaha's have the most power. Then the Onkyo, well I have owned two of them and I think they are pretty good on value, nice features and a nice price tag.

Seth=L

3. Random Digits

Thanks for the reply Seth. I have still been looking around a bit and had the HK 635 catch my eye. Granted its a few dollars over my budget, but the specs are nice and plenty of people seem to enjoy it. However my concern on it lays on the audio delay range, the "lip sync" if you will.

The plasma that i bought, already screwed that up on my old receiver to start with and some things that i watch on sat. can really create a huge delay and its almost sickening. I knew all that was going to be a problem untill i replaced my receiver. Now that i have that option, i want to make sure that i wont have to deal with that problem again with a new receiver. I've read reports that the HK 635 only has an 80ms delay and every technical spec i've looked at on the HK so far doesn't even list the delay range.

Can anyone confirm that the HK 635 only has up to 80ms delay range?

Out of your list, I've looked at the Onkyo, Denon, and Sony if i had to pick one of those i would prolly go with the Sony just for the HDMI switching/upscaling. However, none that i looked at had the ability to stream broadband including the HK635, i would like to rid myself of yet another computer i have sitting in my living room taking up space just to listen to streaming audio. I just don't want to buy another seperate product todo that or i wouldn't have used a computer in the first place.

Any suggestions for a receiver that could deal with that too?

And thanks again for the feedback.

~Cheers~

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

What receiver do you currently have?

Seth=L

5. Random Digits

Receiver --- YAMAHA - RX V596

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Random: until you buy a new receiver, why don't you just run your Yamaha in phantom center mode? Many people here do that with their fully operational receiver.

As far as Internet music streaming, maybe this could help you:

Onkyo NC-500

BTW: the flagship TX-NR1000 has built-in Net capabilities - it costs waaaaaay more than you're looking for, so I'm really just mentioning this for general info purposes.

7. Random Digits

Thats a good idea Lance, didn't really think about it that way. I'm assuming that "phantom mode" is with the center just disconnected and center set to "none/off"? Currently i just have the sound fields off, so everything is in 2.1

I'm not to keen on the idea of needing the NC-500 as i only listen to music in two spots at home, living room and in front of the computer (no qualms here). I was more or less looking for something built in like the TX-NR1000, which is quit amazing. Too bad it isn't a few thousand less [​IMG] or it would be perfect, but i appreciate you mentioning it.

8. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Sorry I forgot you had the receiver in the list in your first post.

I would be wary of the Sony because it is a new series. I am also not impressed with Sony's most recent amplifier stages even their ES series doesn't impress me for the money. Maybe wait a while and do what Lance said and use the Phantom mode. Make sure the Sony will be reliable most importantly. Don't get me wrong, I am not a Sony knocker, I just don't like their audio products. I think that if you keep the Yamaha for a while longer a better receiver will come along with all the futures you want and possibly more than you bargained for for your price range.

Seth=L

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Yep.

You don't normally have to disconnect the speaker itself, but since the center amplifier is acting up, that may not be a bad idea.

10. Random Digits

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, I finaly decided on the Onkyo TX-SR703 that i picked up for $539 (free shipping) from J&R

~Cheers~

11. Rick88

Rick88 Auditioning

I highly recommend the HK 435. It gives up little to the 635 ( A little less power, 2lbs. of weight, HDCD decoding). I recently picked one up from OneCall.com on sale for $399. Although it is now $479 it is still a bargain to me. Great sounding and looking receiver.

12. Rick88

Rick88 Auditioning

Oops too late! I didn't read your last post before I placed mine. good luck with the Onkyo.

13. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I was going to say get a external amp and run it from the center preout...well, I said it anyway. [​IMG]

14. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Good luck with the Onkyo Random, that's my current second choice for a new receiver.

My current first choice is the HK AVR-635, but the limited delay range would kill this for me. Has anyone confirmed the delay? I'm not able to find it either

[​IMG]

15. Rick88

Rick88 Auditioning

On my 435 it is 0-80ms so I assume it's the same on the 635.

16. Random Digits

The delay only goes to 80ms on the 635, and that's what killed the deal for me, Plasma + Satellite = bad mojo for the 635.

I should be getting my TX-SR703 sometime at the end of next week, so i'll let you all know how it goes.

~Cheers~

17. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

BIG arse bummer!!! Same issue, DLP and satellite; even from DVD player at times. Not really surprised, but I was hoping maybe the software update available from HK would have corrected this.

So now I go to my second and third choices, the TX-SR703S or the Denon 886S ( I have this thing for silver now...) They seem virtually identical, with the edge going to the Denon unit because of room equalization. The exposed connnectors on the front really bother me though, so I'm still weighing... [​IMG]

Look forward to your impressions!

18. Random Digits

Considering that this Yamaha RX-V596 is what i had, my impressions are probably going to be substantial. [​IMG] I'll do my best to let you know what I think. Shipping is never fast enough when you're eagerly awaiting a new toy. [​IMG]

~Cheers~

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I would recomend a Denon as well, you get alot of bang for your buck and really good processing as well. The HK is a good alternative and one of the reasons is its high current amplifiers. It has good processing and I think they are still using Logic 7. I own a high $$ Sony DVD player and a Sony HDTV. But I will most likely never own a Sony reciever IMHO they are junk!

20. Random Digits

~Cheers~