1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

receiver/dvd/dd decoder hookup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christ Reynolds, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    hopfully this is the correct forum for this, if it isnt, my apologies. i recently purchased a denon avd-2000 for DD decoding for laserdiscs, as it has an ac3-rf in. as it turns out, i cant use the decoder for laserdisc DD because my ld player had no ac3-rf out. kinda sucks when you realize you have no idea what youre talking about
    . anyway, on to my real question. i have my dvd player hooked up to my receiver through an optical cable. what would the benefits be if i used the denon unit to do my dolby digital processing, with the analog input/outputs? i believe my dvd player has analog outs, and i believe my receiver has analog ins. heres the equipment involved-

receiver - sony str-de945
    dvd player - sony dvp-c660
    decoder - denon avd-2000

thanks in advance

CJ

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    looked at the back of my dvd player, and it doesnt appear to have analog out. i think the heat is getting to me. could i run an optical cable from my dvd player to the decoder, and from the decoder to the receiver use the analog ins/outs? like use the denon to decode the dolby digital, and let the receiver decode dts? basically, is there any way i can benefit from the denon unit before i get a ld player with ac-3 rf out? i need help, thanks

CJ

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

It appears as if the Denon really serves no purpose. You alreay hade DD/DTS built into your receiver, so why not let the Sony handle both the DD and DTS processing? I see you gaining nothing by spliting the decoding duties between the two.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    ok then, i didnt know if the denon was a better decoder, i dont suppose it really matters what handles the bitstream. looks like the denon will have to remain unused for a little while, thanks

CJ