Receiver doubt

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Gamba, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Daniel Gamba

Daniel Gamba Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I am new here, it is my first post. I would like to have some advice from you about the receiver. I am planning to buy one. I pretend to spend no more than around U$350. I was thinking about the Yamaha 630, is it a good choice? There is also the pioneer 811, but I dont know how good it is. Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

The Pioneer 811 has been getting some great reviews here. Try doing a search on it in this forum & you will come up with a lot of info on it.

3. Daniel Gamba

Daniel Gamba Auditioning

Thanks, maybe I will go for it then. because if you look on the specification it looks really good also.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I will say one thing the pioneer 811 is better for movies than music....so it depends on what you want it for....I use
    mine more for movies so that is why i don't mind it.
    I enjoy it and I like it more now that I tuned it using an
    spl meter and the sound&vision dvd.
    Sounds a lot cleaner and more realistic....

5. Daniel Gamba

Daniel Gamba Auditioning

Thanks,
    I was looking more closelly this weekend and I almost decided. Think I am going to get the Harman Kardon 125, It has kind of low power and dont have any component connection, but I can connect direct to the TV if I want to use component on the DVD and my room is quite small.
    What do you think?

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Daniel,
    The HK's are a great choice. I have the 225 and love it! The HK's are great for music as well as HT. If all you need is 5.1- I think it's the way to go. I would check out JandR.com as far as prices are concerned. They are an authorized dealer. Also, if you don't want to go out and buy a spl meter to calibrate your system, the HK 225 has a mic build into the remote- pretty convenient, maybe not as accurate as the radio shack meter, but the reviews I've read say it's not off by much at all. The night mode on the 225 is also great if you have young children who sleep near the listening area, as I do.[​IMG]
    Good luck!

7. Daniel Gamba

Daniel Gamba Auditioning

Thanks Jose,
    I think now I have decided. I wont change my mind anymore. I was planning to buy the HK 125, the difference between the 125 and 225 is just the power? My room in Brazil have around 15m2 is not that big.
    I still have 21 years old, dont have kids YET but I live with my parents, so it is more or less the same problem as it is with kids..[​IMG]
    Thanks for your help
    Daniel

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

The only reason I mention the 225 is because I bought it months ago for what seems to fit your budget. In terms of power the 125 will be just fine. I think you’ll be happy with that machine. If you plan to use it for HT, the 225’s Ez set (speaker calibration feature) make HT very easy to set up without having to go out and buy a spl meter. The 125 doesn’t have this feature, altough I’m sure the factory settings for HT on the 125 will be just fine. Enjoy your new HK!

9. Peter Donovan

For the money, I agree that a Harman Kardon would be a good choice. You could also look for a Marantz SR-4200, this is being replaced by the SR-4300. Both of these brands have a nice sound quality for music, that I think are missing from run of the mill "Best Buy type" receivers.

10. Daniel Gamba

Daniel Gamba Auditioning

Thanks for both of you.
    Dont want to sound stupid but what does Spl meter is?
    Is it to measure db?
    Thanks