Receiver doesn't recognize remote

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Todd Henry, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I have a Kenwood receiver that doesn't always recognize the remote control. I have also programmed the receiver to work on my DirecTV remote control and I have the same problem with both remotes.

I usually can use the remote to turn on the receiver, but as soon as it is on then it won't recognize the signals to change the volume or turn of. The DirecTV remote works with no problems on the TV and the STB.

Any thoughts. This one problem is making me consider a new receiver.

Thanks
    Todd

2. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

A couple thoughts...

new batteries in the remote

clean both the little tramsmitter part on the remote and reciever 'window' on the Kenwood

3. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Thanks Tyler, I don't think the remote is the problem since it does work to control the TV and satellite receiver.

On the shelf below the receiver is the Tivo. When I hit the volume on the receiver the Tivo power light flashes. Could there be some form of interference.

4. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

The problem is your receiver. Kenwoods are notorious for this. I had one that did it to me and have read about others on here with the same problem many times. You'll have to send it in for repair or scrap it for a new one.

5. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

I had an Integra with the same problem. They never could fix it and finally replaced it after replacing the remote sensor 3 times.

I'd guess it has somthing to do with the PC board the remote sensor is hooked up to. Sounds like once the unit is warm, the sensor stops working. Right? Somthing is overheating causing this problem. It's unlikely they can repare this. Sorry for the bad news. Hopefully your unit is still covered under warranty?

6. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Jeff and Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. You are right as soon as it gets warm it doesn't work. It is almost 3 years old so I doubt it is under warranty.

I am in the process of building a new home and more than likely will upgrade the receiver and speakers. This Kenwood is a low end for a HTiB.

It is located on the stand under a Sony Widescreen. Could that be limiting the airflow and lead to the overheating?

Todd

7. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

I would provide at least 1 inch on the sides and 3 inches on top for air to circulate, more if possible. I've read where some have installed a small computer fan to circulate air around their reciever. Is it on an open shelf or are there doors on the cabinet? If you have doors you might try leaving the doors open while using it.

8. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

It is on an open shelf. I am going to try moving the receiver onto another shelf and leave only the receiver under the TV this weekend and see if it helps.

9. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

You mentioned Tivo. I don't know how hot those get, but my DirecTV reciever gets pretty warm when its on. I would try to seperate the Tivo and AV reciever. At least place them side to side. Having the Tivo under your reciever isn't helping. Remember, warm air travels up.

10. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Thanks Tyler... The DirecTV receiver and Audio receiver are separated by a glass shelf, but I really think we have isolated the problem. The next step is finding a solution with my setup. That is this weekend's project.

Todd

11. dany

dany Supporting Actor

My TiVo doesnt get warm at all. Its under the tv as its cooling is from the rear. I've lowered my Denon more for better cooling as it gets the hottest of everything. It has about a foot above it clear.