What's new

Receiver Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Masbury

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I'm glad I found this forum and I need a little help on my receiver dilemma. I originally purchased an Onkyo HT-RC270 around 7 years ago and after 3 years or so I had the dreaded no sound problem and it was out of warranty. So, I packed it up, put it into storage and went out and bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-A830 and life was good again. Until about 2 weeks ago when lightning hit very close to the house and fried several items and the Yamaha being a big one along with my Bic 12" Sub.

While searching the net I found the light bulb trick for the Onkyo so I decided to give it a try and it seams to have brought it back from the dead, but for how long? I then found the link to the Onkyo recall or warranty extension and found that mine old receiver is eligible for an upgrade to the TX-RZ810 for $350. Glad I didn't trash it!

So.... I really like the Yamaha Aventage receiver but is it worth sending it in for repair since it's out of warranty, and yes I checked the internal fuse and it was good along with bypassing the transformers thermal link and still no power. Or... do I pay the $350 for the newer RZ810?

I have been out of the receiver game and market for a while and I'm looking for some advise on which direction to go?

Sorry for the long initial post

Mark

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm glad I found this forum and I need a little help on my receiver dilemma. I originally purchased an Onkyo HT-RC270 around 7 years ago and after 3 years or so I had the dreaded no sound problem and it was out of warranty. So, I packed it up, put it into storage and went out and bought a Yamaha Aventage RX-A830 and life was good again. Until about 2 weeks ago when lightning hit very close to the house and fried several items and the Yamaha being a big one along with my Bic 12" Sub.

While searching the net I found the light bulb trick for the Onkyo so I decided to give it a try and it seams to have brought it back from the dead, but for how long? I then found the link to the Onkyo recall or warranty extension and found that mine old receiver is eligible for an upgrade to the TX-RZ810 for $350. Glad I didn't trash it!

So.... I really like the Yamaha Aventage receiver but is it worth sending it in for repair since it's out of warranty, and yes I checked the internal fuse and it was good along with bypassing the transformers thermal link and still no power. Or... do I pay the $350 for the newer RZ810?

I have been out of the receiver game and market for a while and I'm looking for some advise on which direction to go?

Sorry for the long initial post

Mark

"Light bulb trick?" Do tell.

Your bigger problem seems to be uncontrolled surge current. Until you address that, why buy or repair another receiver that will likely [eventually] suffer a similar fate? You need a suitable surge protection plan. I say "plan" because, in most cases its a tiered approach. In my home I have a "whole house" protector installed at the Service Panel, [fuse box] and also individual protectors at the entry point for critical and sensitive devices such as my home theater gear.

It's also a good idea to have an external protector installed at the meter but you need cooperation from your local utility to accomplish that.

Masbury

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
I just took a lit 60 watt incandescent bulb and held it over the HDMI chip for a little over a minute then pressed it down gently with a rubber pencil eraser.
I had it plugged into a belkin surge protector that didn’t stop the surge for the receiver but it did on my Blue Ray player. I am going to install the Eaton breaker panel protector and looking into KCP&L for a protector before my meter. Lesson learned

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I just took a lit 60 watt incandescent bulb and held it over the HDMI chip for a little over a minute then pressed it down gently with a rubber pencil eraser.
Wow! That's a new one for me.

I had it plugged into a belkin surge protector that didn’t stop the surge for the receiver but it did on my Blue Ray player. I am going to install the Eaton breaker panel protector and looking into KCP&L for a protector before my meter. Lesson learned

For my Home Theater room, I use this. Expensive but worth every penny.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_299M5...MInp3g96mu2wIVENtkCh2SUQoZEAQYAyABEgIEVPD_BwE

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That seems like a good deal for $350 for the Onkyo upgrade. Just make sure it has all the features and connections you need and want.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That seems like a good deal for $350 for the Onkyo upgrade. Just make sure it has all the features and conductivity you need and want.
I hate it when receivers don't have enough conductivity. :dance:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hate it when receivers don't have enough conductivity.

I hate it as well, ROFL. Don't know what I was thinking on that one John. To much stress and very distracted, that is all I can say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks