What's new

Receiver delima, just got a good deal now what?! (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Well first off, I am one of the people on the lower end of the spectrum as far as quality of HT components.

I currently have a Pioneer vsxd-912k receiver. Today I found a heck of a deal on an older Sony HTIB. The receiver is 5.1 (100x5, overrated i know) does DD/DTS. It came with 5 satellites (100w max) and an active sub (50w). All for $50.

My speakers aren't the greatest but they do a good job.
Fronts - Sony bookshelfs (50W)
Center - RCA w/ Linaeum woofers (150W)
Surrounds - JVC Bookshelfs
Rears - Sony surrounds

I was thinking of using 4 of the satellites as surrounds and stick with the fronts and center I already have. But I am hesitant about downgrading on the receiver. I only live in an apartment so I can't really crank it anyway.

I could make a $150 profit by selling my Pio receiver and still have a decent (I use that term loosely) system, what would you guys do?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you could get your investments back at these price points. You may as well give it a shot.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Just curious why you'd even consider downgrading that Pioneer anyway?
The sony HTIB, while probably no slouch, would't even hold a candle to that Pio...
Stick with what you got and upgrade the speakers.
Just looked up the specs. and it looks like you got DD, DTS/ES, and PLII.
Don't know which Sony model you have your eye on but...
Are you really gonna live in the apartment the rest of your natural born days??

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Will not live too long in an apt but when I do move to a house will probably dump everything and start over, so I figure I could sell the Pio while I can still get a decent amount for it. Don't want to upgrade the speakers because like I said, I can't really crank it. Anyways, thanks for the input.

I would sell the Sony HTIB and use that money to invest in real speakers. I know a few places in Portland you could check out. I live in Vancouver, WA.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
Yeah, I really think "cranking it" isn't the issue here, I would be willing to bet, the sound QUALITY of that Pioneer would really shine, with some nice matched speakers. You wouldn't HAVE to twist the volume knob to get "good sound"
It would give you room to grow in your next place.
You'd be surprised what you've got and value those times when you CAN turn it up...
I have the opposite syndrome, my Paradigms really brought out the best in my cheap 5.1. Now looking to upgrade to a nicer receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks