receiver dacs or cd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mario D, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Mario D

Mario D Extra

I tried analog out from my nakamichi mb8 cd player ( i was hook up optical out ) and notice an improvement : the sound is less bright and the bass is rounder and better. Does that mean that the dacs from the Nak are better than the one's in my 3803.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Better? Not necessarily. Worse? Not necessarily. More pleasing to your ear? Seems like it.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you say the Nak sounds better, leave it analog. Personally, I am not surprised the Nak sounds better.

4. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

neither am I

-rob

5. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

Using an external DAC always raises the problem of jitter in the bitstream, a problem avoided using the CD player's internal DACs.

Chris

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

it's really difficult to answer your question without knowing if the levels going to the speakers was the same in both cases. if there were a level mismatch then different people would interpret that in different ways.

7. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Don't be surprised your cd sounds better with analog cables than using the receicer's DAC, I have a 15 year old SAE cd player that performs slightly better using analog cables than using a digital cable with the Marantz SR-8200.

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    While I believe cables themselves can influence a system's sound, I would suspect the DACs are more likely the reason for the difference in sound in this case.

When I say I am not surprised that the Nak sounds better, that is because they make some nice gear, and even not being familiar with this particular unit, I would STILL expect it to sound better than the 3803's DACs. I have not heard a 3803 yet, but the DACs in the 3802 did not impress me for music, which is why I chose not to purchase one.

9. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I found the same thing although my CD player is NOT that grate and I consider my receiver to be at least mid-fi. My AVR120 sounds much more harsh, less rounded and has less bass output as compared to using the DAC's in my $90 entry level Sony carousel. Who knew...