What's new

receiver dacs or cd? (1 Viewer)

Mario D

Grip
I tried analog out from my nakamichi mb8 cd player ( i was hook up optical out ) and notice an improvement : the sound is less bright and the bass is rounder and better. Does that mean that the dacs from the Nak are better than the one's in my 3803.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Better? Not necessarily. Worse? Not necessarily. More pleasing to your ear? Seems like it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you say the Nak sounds better, leave it analog. Personally, I am not surprised the Nak sounds better.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
Using an external DAC always raises the problem of jitter in the bitstream, a problem avoided using the CD player's internal DACs.

Chris

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
it's really difficult to answer your question without knowing if the levels going to the speakers was the same in both cases. if there were a level mismatch then different people would interpret that in different ways.

Luis M

Second Unit
Don't be surprised your cd sounds better with analog cables than using the receicer's DAC, I have a 15 year old SAE cd player that performs slightly better using analog cables than using a digital cable with the Marantz SR-8200.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While I believe cables themselves can influence a system's sound, I would suspect the DACs are more likely the reason for the difference in sound in this case.

When I say I am not surprised that the Nak sounds better, that is because they make some nice gear, and even not being familiar with this particular unit, I would STILL expect it to sound better than the 3803's DACs. I have not heard a 3803 yet, but the DACs in the 3802 did not impress me for music, which is why I chose not to purchase one.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I found the same thing although my CD player is NOT that grate and I consider my receiver to be at least mid-fi. My AVR120 sounds much more harsh, less rounded and has less bass output as compared to using the DAC's in my $90 entry level Sony carousel. Who knew...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks