Receiver Cuts out - whats going on?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matthew Will, May 4, 2003.

1. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    This happens with my Pioneer receiver every so often. I will be playing it at, I'd say, above average levels. Then all of a sudden the sound will die down to a whisper compared to the level I had it at. I try turning off the receiver and turning it back on a few seconds later to see if that will correct it. It does but for only a few seconds before it dies back down to the whisper. So I eventually just give up and turn it off completely. Whats going on?

Is it overheating or what? How do I correct it? Matt

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You killed it or it died on it's own, I guess.

Are you driving some exotic speakers? Doing anything weird with the wiring? Make sure you are using fat enough speaker wire. 12 - 16ga is so cheap these days I use it everywhere - why not.

If you aren't running all of the speakers "small", try that. It may take enough stress off the amps to help.

Otherwise it sounds like you need a tech...good luck!

3. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Matthew,
    Is this a Pioneer elite?
    A few of the tx-26 and others models suffered from a cold solder joint on the dsp board.
    It is a rather easy fix.

4. Matthew Will

Matthew Will Stunt Coordinator

No I'm not running any exotic speakers and this isn't the Pioneer Elite. I'm sorry I forget the model number but it's a system my father bought as a home theater in a box. It's probably 3 years old at least I'd say.
    He ran new speaker wire so I wouldn't think there is a problem there. Perhaps the old Pioneers just cant handle the load for extended periods? Matt

5. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Did it have the problem before he ran new speaker wire?

Just a guess here, but you _may_ have a strand of one wire touching the other wire somewhere. Trace your connections and double-check 'em.