Receiver contemplation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Tracewell, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Jason Tracewell

Jason Tracewell Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I won't be getting a new receiver for a few months, but I have been doing my homework trying to figure out which one I plan on getting. I want to be sure that I am getting something that will last me a while and this is what I have narrowed it down to:

Denon AVR-3803
    or
    Kenwood VR-5090

I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but plan to soon. So far I have been going off of specs and what I need (now and future) as far as imput/outputs... I will be using it as an all around system (DVD's, Music, TV, Video Games, etc..), but will probably use it the most for DVD's..

I currently own a Kenwood VR-507 and think it sounds great, but I am thinking about future purchases that would require more goodies..

I am leaning towards the Kenwood because of the THX certification (which isn't a big issue with me, but it would be nice) but mainly I would like it for the video up-conversion, so I could have only one connection from my TV to my Receiver for all my equipment. I don't believe the 3803 has this feature.

Also, if anyone would like to share there experiences with either product, I would love a second, third, forth, etc. opinion.. [​IMG]

I know my final decision will come down to how each one sounds to me, but it's always nice to get a few opinions, and I figured this is the best place to do that!

Thanks for your time.

-Jason

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jason,
    The Denon 3803 does do video upconversion.

3. Jason Tracewell

I just looked on Denon's site and read the spec sheet on the Denon.. and yep, it sure does do the up conversion... Don't know how I missed that... Thanks for pointing that out! [​IMG]

Well, now this evens the playing field a bit now.. That's one of the main features I wanted...

Back to the drawing board.....

-Jason

4. Jason Tracewell

Oh, one more thing... I know the video up conversion can run everything through the component outputs, but I noticed this on the 2802:

"S" and Composite video Switching

So does that mean the same thing, except that the highest I could go is the S-cable? (ie: VCR through composite and DVD through S-cable and output to the TV through S-cable for both)

This could also work for me if that's true, which would throw the 2802 into the mix as well... Man, I have some listening to do....

5. Dave Ma

Dave Ma Stunt Coordinator

This question comes up often as to which receiver, but it's with the Denon or Marantz. Now you threw the Kenwood in here,so between those I would get the Denon. Who pays for that THX certification? "YOU" pay for it.I would not worry about the THX. With that said, you asked for another option so I will give you one. I would take a long listen to the Rotel RSX 1055. That receiver will blow the socks off the other two. Great sound quality,great amp section,underated WPC and it's "UPGRADEABLE" too. You would also get a 5 year warranty. Unless you need a receiver with more then 5 channels then take a look at ROTEL. Those others cannot even come close to their claimed WPC, it is a deceptive claim. They cannot put out there claimed WPC when all channels are driven at once. The Rotel can.
    www.rotel.com [​IMG]

6. Marco Salvatori

Marco Salvatori Auditioning

Jason, let me know how you like the 3803 (assuming you decided to go with it).

I own a 3803 and I like it but I have a few gripes, one of which is extremely annoying. When I use video upconversion (S-Video mostly-Directv, PS2) I notice some faint red and blue horizontal bars across the screen scrolling up from the bottom.

My girlfriend doesn't see them so I guess they're not too bad (then again she sees no difference between progressive and interlaced picture either), but for guys that know their gear they stick out like a sore thumb. They don't occur in progressive mode so I have no idea what the problem could be. Anyway, if you notice anything let me know, I'm interested in hearing other 3803 owners' opinions.