Receiver constrution

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Bledsoe, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Mike Bledsoe

Mike Bledsoe Stunt Coordinator

May 24, 2002
    An interesting thing came up with me the other day. I was discussing power supplies with my electronic fix it guy and he said that the power comes into the power supply of a receiver first then to the pre amp then the amp. Is he really trying to say that there are separate windings in the transformer that allow this. It seems a little strange to me because in separates's the pre amp has it's own power supply and opporates independently from the power amp
    Are there any coments on this subject.
  2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Jul 31, 1997
    Cees Alons

I think he did express himself rather inaccurately. Even if there were two different power supplies in a specific receiver, one feeding the pre-amp and the other the power amps, the power wouldn't go "first" to the pre and "then" to the power amps.

Perhaps he meant the signal power? But in fact the pre-amps don't have much "power" in the signal.

Or did he mean the order in which the power is switched on? THAT would make more sense! Power amps switching on later, to avoid a loud electronic click when the pre-amps are switched on while the endstage is in full power already.
    Note that the power supply doesn't have to be split in two to obtain this effect.
    I suppose many receivers will do it like this.