What's new

Receiver Confusion (1 Viewer)

Scott Kurl

Auditioning
This is my first post after reading extensively through a number of forums and my brother's insisting I get on here to better educate myself. I am entering my research phase for a new receiver and have gotten a few ideas in the $500 and under category. Most are the standard names I have read on this forum. They are the Yamamha RXV620, Marantz sr5200, Kenwood vr509 or 510, Denon 1802, and Onkyo 595.

What do you guys think?? I'll most likely be hooking it up with an Energy Take 5.2 sub/sat system. I appreciate the input.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I would eliminate the Marantz, people have been posting many problems with Marantz receivers, audio dropouts(Chris PC and many others). Also, the Kenwook 509, forget it, maybe the 510 since it is THX select certified, but the Onkyo and Denon and Yamaha receivers are top notch in that price range, by all means go with one of those.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Start by eliminating all receivers that don't meet your exact requirements. If they lack a feature you need or want, eliminate them. Is there anything left?

Buy the cheapest one that's left.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
My friend just got a 595 on my recommendation, and it's great. Here are some features that I particularly liked:

4 digital inputs: 2 optical, 2 coax

all binding posts for speakers

nice learning remote

turn-on volume setting

max volume setting

DPL II

Only thing I can think of that it doesn't have is 6.1 stuff and pre-outs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Audio dropouts on the current line of Maranz receivers does not compare to the fact that they are easily the best sounding amps in the bunch. Minor issues yes, but it also is the least expensive receiver that has all those features. (I own a 6200) I listened to the Denon 3802 and decided on the Marantz.

Having said that, I would also say that the Denon or Onkyo are also great choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks