What's new

Receiver Confusion (1 Viewer)

Dan E Laruso

Auditioning
I've been doing a great deal of research on multiple forums/sites the past couple of weeks to try make a somewhat educated decision in purchasing equipment. Being a total novice, I think I might have possibly wound up more confused and could use some feedback.

I'm starting from scratch in a 9x17 condo room--so don't think power is a major concern with that size + neighbors? All I have now is a 30" Zenith HDTV, COX HDDVR, a PS2, and two 8 yr old CV RE 25 speakers. Budget to spend today is around $600 so this will be a step by step process--here's tentative plan in order as money comes in.

1. Receiver--hook up to the CV's for now
2. Progressive Scan DVD
3. New Fronts and Center-(move CV's to rear)
4. subwoofer--(if necessary?)
5. New Rears (sell CV's for anything I can get)
6. Display--most likely projector but this step will be researched when I get there

As I said, $600 now and maybe another 5-6 eventually to finish steps 1-5.

Any feedback/product recommendations are extremely appreciated!

Thanks.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
If $1000-1200 is the long term budget I think you're going to have trouble with getting to the bottom of the list--#6 can eat up quite a lot, as would nearly any other type of larger screen.

So, let's set that one aside and look at getting a basic HT system in place. I know nothing about the speakers but you're planning to keep them for now then I see two approaches.

First is to make the receiver and center channel speaker the first priority. We can underspend the $600 a bit and still get you something pretty nice, holding the rest for later. And you're right, there are a ton of AVRs out there in the right kind of price range, say ~$400. Everyone has favorites but brands that I know have at least one good one in that price would include Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha. All three make good gear and Onkyo and Yamaha really target the market you're in. There are other brands that are equally good but I'd be comfortable saying in the case of those three that you'd be safe picking whichever one was priced right and you liked for almost any reason. Many threads here discussing just this sort of topic (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...31#post2896831 for one). I won't attempt to make a specific recommendation on a center channel speaker. There are folks here who can help, tho'. But whatevery you pick, pick a brand/model with the full 5.1 lineup in mind. The next $500 or so is going to get stretched a bit to cover the rest of the speakers including a sub and the DVD player but it can be done.

The other approach would be to get the AVR and DVD now and set up just a stereo system for the moment. Again, the $600 will cover those and get good, basic gear. Later the rest of the budget and look at buying one of the many 5.1 speaker packages that are out there. There are several that seem to get pretty consistent positive comments here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks