Receiver comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Perry_C, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Perry_C

Perry_C Extra

Hello,

I would just like to share my on going search for the receiver that would fit my requirements. Over the last few months I have learned a great deal about receivers and sound in general. My equipment so far is as follows:

Sony KL-W9000
    HTPC with the Delta 410 sound card
    4 JBL S-26 II
    S-Center II

The receivers I actually bought and tried at home:

H/K AVR-520
    ONKYO TX-SR600

Receivers I tried tested at the store (Magnolia Hi-Fi) using MK speakers:

Sony ES STR-DA4ES
    Yamaha RX-V1300
    Denon 3802

After listening to all these receivers, this is what I found:

The Onkyo is well week. The sound is okay, but nothing special. There is no real upgrade path either with this receiver. However, it does have a nice remote and easy setup.

The H/K has a much better sound than the onkyo. The remote is rather dysfunctional. There is just way too many lights on the receiver. Also, the setup is a little bit more confusing. But the sound more than makes up for those issues.

So I returned both the onkyo and H/K. I just went to Magnolia and to my surprise they had all the receivers I wanted to listen too. Based on the last three, the Yamaha has slightly better music abilities but the Sony was extremely close to Yamaha. Now the Denon I would say came in a good third in the music category. Now on to movies, the Denon I would give first place but only by maybe 2% if you listen very very close you can tell the different oh so slightly from the Denon and Sony. The Sony did do a great job keeping up to the Denon in regards to sound but the Yamaha was just not impressive what so ever in the movie department. So after spending about 2 hours and having my head feel like it was spinning, it really came down to the Denon and the Sony. The Sony had some great features and really nice build quality with a 5 year warrantee to boot. Not to mention all the features I was looking for in a receiver for this time. So I ended up ordering the Sony from Jandr for a kick as price. If you are interested in this receiver, I would highly recommend calling them.

Thanks,

Perry

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Could you elaborate more about the Sony's music performance? Perhaps a full review of it is in order once you have it home.

--AM

3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Perry,
    the Onkyo and HK are the ones i took home to try also.
    Most of your comments mirror my feelings to a "T".
    i also thought the Onkyo was weaker than the HK in the end (but liked the Onk remote much better, along with simpler interface).
    Haven't tried the Denon, Sony or Yamaha.

however,

i think the difference between the Onkyo and HK is much smaller now after i tried out a NAD.
    sounds like you have a fixed budget and need certain features, otherwise i would have recommended you seek out the NAD for a test.
    i am usually pretty skeptical of the "improvements" you get from (slightly) higher priced gear, but i have to admit that i can clearly hear the difference in this case.
    haven't made a purchase yet, but it looks like i will be going with one of those eventually.

4. Perry_C

Perry_C Extra

Angelo -- As soon as I get the Sony in, I will do a direct comparison between the HK and the Sony.

Paul -- What is the price of the NAD? Just in case the Sony does not work out.

Thanks,

Perry

5. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Perry:

Thanks! A direct comparison will be very useful to me, and likely to other members of the forum. I had the H/K 225 at home for about a week, and was very, very impressed with its sound (particularly in 2-channel stereo). But, I'm also looking at the 4ES, because most of my other gear is Sony and I like the integration that allows.

-AM