Receiver comparison

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by selge, Jun 9, 2003.

1. selge

selge Auditioning

Hi,

I'm new to this whole HT thing so this is my first question.

What are the differences between cheap receiver and more expensive ones apart from features (DTS, DD, PLII, DTS-ES etc)? my second question is what consequences would one suffer from purchasing unknown brand receivers?

I would appreciate it if you could group receivers into price ranges;
    eg: $100-300 -
    $300-500 -
    $500-800 -
    etc etc.

Thanks for your help

2. MikeNagy

MikeNagy Stunt Coordinator

Generally speaking, as with most HT gear, you get what you pay for. As the price goes up, you start getting more processing modes like you named off, as well as more and varying types of inputs and outputs, (S-video, component video, optical/TOSlink or coaxial digital audio, etc) more power, (can drive more speakers to higher volumes if the speakers can take it) better audio quality (less distortion at higher volumes, better signal-to-noise ratios) and etc.

IMHO, you should NEVER buy a no-name receiver. There are no benefits at all. You get very sub-par audio in many cases, and in most cases, you get minimal if any warranty support and a never-ending headache because you can't get it to work very well. Also, the money you save is negligible. Don't even think about buying anything but brand-name gear from reputable companies.

The home theater market is very daunting when you're just starting out. I highly reccommend that you read the HT Newcomers Primer if you haven't done so already. It will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck with your home theater endeavors. [​IMG]

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Try doing a search. Someone posted a VERY good list of receivers a few months ago. They had pricepoints and features listed.

4. selge

selge Auditioning

Thanks, I will steer away from those cheapies in the future when upgrading.