Receiver clearance

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hyun K, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

I've got a denon 3802 on my equipment rack. It's got about 1.25 inch of clearance on the top but a good amount of clearance on the rear and front. The manual recommends 4 inches or more of top clearance. Is this really necessary? Will housing my receiver in this condition cause a shorter life span due to over heating? After about a couple hours of play, the receiver gets pretty warm to the touch... not hot but pretty warm.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this thread to amps/receivers.

Thanks,

3. aldamon

aldamon Second Unit

LOL. I thought this was going to be a Hot Deal thread.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

1.5 inches might not be enough. Most of the heat will be rising and coming from the top. You might want to give it some more breathing room. IIRC, the manual suggests 4 inches on all sides and top. It does get pretty warm.

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

6. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

sorry for the confusion guys... now that I look at it... it does look like an advertisement [​IMG]
    But can anyone give me some more specifics on what exactly happens when the receiver overly heats up and why this is detrimental to its longevity. I'll most likely give it 3 more inches of clearance.... just don't want to go back there and redo all the wiring. what a mess!

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hyun K,

IMO, the manufacturers advice is the best but you do not always need to follow it to the letter. My H/K 510 (admittedly not as much juice as the 3802) is in a cabinet shelf open front and rear with 1 1/2" of top clearance and never gets hot. This was even when I was using the 510's amps. Now, I also have a Parasound 855A on the bottom shelf behind wood doors with 2 1/2" of clearance but open in the back and no problems there as well.

Heat is the enemy of all components and certain ventilation requirements have to be stated. Over the course of ownership you might progressively expose your electronics to a life shortening level of environmental heat. But it is a fact of life that output power is rarely so high for sustained periods that heat damage will ensue unless you do something like sit another component right on top of the receiver. Even then the built-in protection circuitry would kick in, most likely limiting any damage.

Manufacturers list ventilation requirements based on the heat transfer of maximum sustained output. To do anything else would be downright foolish. So you can safely assume that your normal listening practices have a lesser requirement.

Just my $.02 I'm sure others will disagree.

8. Julio

Julio Agent

you can get a fan the ones they use for DJ equitments and the ones use for computers that you can plug in your wall outlet

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with the fan. A friend had a similar situation, and though he never had a shut down, he felt there was too much heat build up and installed a small PC fan to draw the air out to an open area. Try to find a quiet one. He had to try a few out to find one that had almost no noise.

10. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

A fan couldn't hurt. Most people buy the very quiet ones at Radioshack, but since your Denon is open from the back and front I wouldn't worry too much. Especially since you said that it only gets warm to the touch. Now if you had it an enclosed rack with only an inch of headroom then I would start looking for some ventilation ideas.

For now, try the best that you can. But don't worry too much.

11. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Click my HT link below. It shows how I put a fan in my system and the parts from radio shack needed. It was real easy to do. You can obviously modify it for you application.

12. Greg Haynes

Rajee,

I went to Radioshack after looking at your site, and I had the the adjustable voltage adapter in my hand and was curious on how you inserted the fan wires into the adapter. My fans all have bare wire.

Did you crimp the wire into the adapter and then used electrical tape?

Also is it possible to hook up multiple fans using the same adapater?

13. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

Ya, the voltage adaptor had a funny attachment at the end of it. Just cut that off and splice the wire so it is bare on both the fan and voltage adaptor ends. Make sure you test the polarity of the fan and adaptor wire so you connect the right ones together. I then soldered them together and wrapped some electrical tape around them. Set the fan to the voltage you want and away you go. I have mine hooked up to my switched outlet on the receiver with an extension cord so it auto-on's when I turn the system on. Hope that helps, if ya got more questions, post em.

As far as hooking up more than one fan to the adaptor, I would assume that would be ok, but I havn't tried it personally. If it doesn't work, just return the extra fan to radio shack or by another adaptor and do the same thing. I would be interested to hear if it does work out for you though.

14. Greg Haynes

Thanks Rajee, do you think that I could hook up to 2 fans to the same adapter?

15. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

16. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    If youy go into a good computer parts shop you can ask for a Vantec Stelath Fan. It runs at only 20dB at full speed.

Thermaltake makes a "Smart Fan" which has a thermal sensor and can adjust itself on the fly. However, at it's slowest setting it's 27dB. I believe the Radioshack fans are probably over 30dB. So if you want quiet then you might want to go to a real computer shop.

You can also find PCI card fans that suck air out sideways. Radioshack sells these and can be used in tight spots. If you have 1" clearance you could place one of these right on top of your amp and it will suck the air out of your receiver's vents and shoot them out the back. Check it out.

Btw, using a lower voltage setting will make the fan spin slower and thus quieter. So, instead of running two fans you could run one big fan at 12V. Just be sure to have the fan sucking the hot air out and away.

As for connecting the fan simply cut the connectors from both the fan and the power adapter and splice them together. Then simply plug the adapter into the back of your amp and the fan will turn on automatically when you turn on the amp.

- Mike

17. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

I have an inch sideways on my Parasound. I also have the door closed as I don't need to see it. The back is open and it runs 24/7. Sure it runs toasty in summer but it's a tough amp. I'm sure a few degrees won't hurt it.

It is also fanless. As long as it's not too hot to touch.

T.

18. RajeeK

RajeeK Second Unit

19. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Basically, you have two choices; Add more clearance or
    put a fan behind the rack to blow air across or draw it
    over the top of the receiver. Otherwise you end up like
    those nitwit store owners who cram receivers (demos)
    onto shelves with 1/2" clearance, run them 16 hours
    a day and then sell them to unsuspecting people as "demos."

20. Greg Haynes