What's new

Receiver choices (1 Viewer)

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to finally upgrade from DPL, and was wanting opinions. I think I'm going to keep it between the following 3. The wife usually doesn't like it too loud, so volume isn't really that big a concern. I'm mainly interested in clean amplifiers. I'm choosing between the Onkyo 494, the Yamaha 5440, and the Kenwood vr-507. I want to keep it at the $300 price point, because the wife and I are expecting. Which of these would you suggest? Are there any others I should consider?
Thanks for your help.
~J

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look away from Kenwood at all costs and look into finding one of Pioneer Elite's older line(VSX-26tx, 24tx, etc.). They sound great, and they won't fry like the Kenwood will.
Sam

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
last year's Onkyo 575x is still being sold at onecall.com for ~$290. i'd go with that.
and i'd also look away from Kenwood here.
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but why go with the 575? It has slightly more power, and no DPLII.
~J

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I'd say look at the Denon 1602 or 1802 and I also say stay away from Kenwood.

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input. I have about $40 in gift certificates from Crutchfield, so I'll be buying it there. I don't have that extravagant a system, so I don't need that many in/outputs. I mainly want whichever will give the cleanest power. The wife does not like watching movies too loudly, but I occasionally want to crank it when she's not around. DPLII is also a good benefit, since we still ahve quite a few cassettes. I figure the Yamaha would have to have killer sound quality, plus a soundfield similar to DPLII.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got the Onkyo 696 which I like a great deal. I give a cautious endorsement of the 494, since I like Onkyo but don't know how different the 494 is from the 595 & 696.
The Kenwoods have got generally good reviews for their price-class. From what I've read, I'd probably go with that if only spending $300.
It may come down to your attitude about buying. If buying a car, would you buy a loaded Chevy Cavalier or a base-model Honda Civic? Replace Cavalier and Honda with Kenwood and Onkyo, respectively, for your stereo choice.

KevinQ

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting explanation.
For cars, I would choose Civic for its reliability. But for electronics, is there any big difference in terms of reliablity? I really doubt it.
I would choose Kendwood for the PLII.

DaveN

Grip
I have the Onkyo 494 and I think that it sounds great. Everyone knocks this receiver because you have to "turn it way up" in order to get loud volumes. Big deal. For a budget receiver, this thing has some very clean power. I have been thoroughly impressed. (To give you some perspective, my main system is based on the Denon AVR-5700)
Good luck and happy shopping. Congrats on the baby! (Boy is your life going to change!)
David

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Never had anything but problems with any kenwood products. I have no faith in the components used in them, or the quality of build.
And I didn't suggest buying a used piece of equipment, I simply recommended-for $$ sake-purchasing an older model since money was an issue.
So I don't think my advice was misleading.
Sam

JasonS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, thanks for the help. Now I can't decide between the Kenwood and the Onkyo. Bottom line: Which will sound better? Or....would the Yamaha?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
in order of preference...onkyo, yamaha, then kenwood. just my .02
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
Kenwood or Onkyo. I went with the Kenwood because of the center width, dimension & panorama features in DPL2 music mode, these are not on the Onkyo. Both are good for the money. My buddy has a Kenwood receiver that is well over 10 years old, it sounds amazing considering it is so dirty. I swear he has never cleaned the thing.

Dan_Myers

Agent
I would recommend Onkyo based on my 575x but if you want a kenwood or Yamaha you could get the Kenwood VR507 with DPLII for $255 or the Yamaha HTR5440 for $254 or the 575x for $275 all at onecall.com and still have your $40 to spend on something else at Crutchfield.
------------------
- Dan
[Edited last by Dan_Myers on October 01, 2001 at 08:23 PM]

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know too much about the Onkyo's or HK's but I'd stay away from Kenwood. I had 2 of em fry.
It's been Denon ever since...
Just thought I'd join the Kenwood sucks party.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, the VR-2080 I bought was "new". It took one week before it was inoperable. I exchanged it(unfortunately I was stuck on the cool remote...Aaaah, youth), It worked good for maybe a year until it fried itself up again. I returned it, it was repaired, and now I'm on number 3...but I don't use it and I hardly get to enjoy it because I know it'll destroy itself in no time at all.
Sorry, Kenwood is at the same level as Sony's regular product line. Want a trouble free system? Try Denon or Pioneer Elite, or Yamaha or Onkyo.
Sam

Travis D

Second Unit
What is this "fry" talk? My parents still have a stereo Kenwood receiver from the frigin 70's and is still sounds great IMHO. Then again, comparing 70's to 90's is apples and oranges.
Still, my neighbor has a VR-407 he bought last year and in so many words I say it is awesome. Especially for the price. I'm also going to be picking up 507 or a 509 sometime soon.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Apples and oranges Travis. My favorite receiver growing up was a 1970's Kenwood.
This "fry" talk is the receiver deciding to come on one day and whether it be a fuse or an amp stage, not functioning. Fry=smoke, smell, or no work. All of the VR-2080's I've had died deaths just liek that.
And like I said, I baby the one I still have with some crappy magnavox speakers so I don't push it too hard so it can decide to break again, because the extended warranty I purchased(as I said, youth...) is now up. But that warranty came in handy with this unit! I've ended up with 2 new units and one repaired unit.
Sam

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
If you want clean power stay away from the sony str-de line. I had the str-de445 and while feature rich, it was hissy. I eventually sold it on ebay for $150 and picked up a denon avr-681 for $200. The 681 is the "specialty version" of the 1601. No one has ever shown me there are actually differences between the two.
For what its worth, shopping.yahoo.com has a denon 1602 for $259 here
Its $294 shipped. You could use your gift certificates for wires or something.
BTW Denon doesn't like things bought online fron non-authorized dealers but I have heard mixed stories on honoring warranties.
Just an idea.
Good Luck,
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks