What's new

Receiver choice? (1 Viewer)

Dan_Whip

Agent
I have my receiver choice narrowed down to 2. Either the Denon 2802 or the H/K 325. Both have the features I am looking for in the price range I am looking at. I know people are going to suggest other brands, but for one reason or another, I have discounted all other receivers, so I'm just interested in these 2. Have any of you had problems with either of these?

FYI, it will be used for 95% HT.

Thanks

Tom S

Agent
Go with the Denon. Everywhere I have shopped have stated that H/K is having problems and their quaility is suffering.

Dan_Whip

Agent
Wasn't that with the x20 models, not the x25? If they are still having problems, it will be a no brainer. I just thought I read somewhere that the new models have resolved the problem.

Thanks

Oakley

Auditioning
Dan,
I have had the H/K 525 for about 2 months and have not had a single problem with it. I have it setup in 7.1 and movies and music is nothing short of awesome. If you go with either receiver I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Just don't rule out H/K because some people have had problems with there product in the past. It all comes down to which one sounds the best to YOU and has the features that YOU want. It's all up to YOU!

O.J.:D

David Connor

Auditioning
Dan,

Yes you are correct the majority of the problems people were having, especially on this forum, was with the X20 line, NOT the X25 line. I also just purchased the 525 from Onecall for $499 (re-manufactured) and I LOVE IT! There is nothing wrong with it, and it is leaving me plenty of room to grow into it. I also doubt you would be disappointed with either receiver. Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Dan_Whip

Agent
Thanks for all the responses. It's looking more and more like the 325. I still have about a month before I order, so keep up the debate. I'm sure they are both high quality pieces and I wouldn't have problems with either. I'd love to hear from someone that has heard them both in a HT and how they compare in that regard. Thanks again.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought an HK. I love it. I was going to go with the Denon, but I ended up with a HK. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 325.

Dan_Whip

Agent
I honestly don't think I will be disappointed with either of them. I could flip a coin and be perfectly happy, as long as I never hear the other one.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Dan

Receivers all have a "sonic signature". In order to make a valid choice, you would have to get both receivers in your home at the same time. In my experience, the audible difference is subtle. If you are going to use a subwoofer, the differences are far less audible: just barely in the realm of "least audible differences". That means the differences are just barely audible.

If I were you, and have to pick without an in-home comparison, I would make my decision based on reliability.

In my humble opinion, HK has had far to many problem receivers. Most recently with the AVR 8000. Search the sight and you will find that there are plenty of folks with a bad experience with HK.

Putting on my flame resistant shiny clothes now.

Artie

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I honestly don't think I will be disappointed with either of them. I could flip a coin and be perfectly happy, as long as I never hear the other one.
And even if you heard the other one, unless it's in your home- it wouldn't be telling you much, so what are the odds anyway? Just flip the coin;)

Good luck and enjoy the great sound once you get whichever you end up with.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Either would be fine as soundwise they are both excellent although the HK build quality does look suspect. I looked inside the 520 and guess what they had for heat sinking? Pisspoor aluminum ribbon bent in the shape of a heat sink...sheesh..:thumbsdown: I would have expected atleast a decent aluminum heat sink at that price. No wonder they are having all the shutdown issues. If I were you I would go with the Denon and since you are going to be using it primarily for HT use, any sonic differences will be subtle at best.

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks