Receiver Break In Period, Fact or Fiction?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Winkler, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Just curious to know the HTForum's opinions on this. Do receivers break in, and is it different for every one? Or do they basically sound they same right out of the box compared to months later??

I ask this also because I've been in the circus act of upgrading receivers. I had a Yamaha RX-V2300 for about a year and was very pleased with it's sound quality and performance. I "upgraded" to a Yamaha RX-V2400 for it's extra features, 7.1, component up conversion, flexible crossovers, Pro Logic IIx. I was however not as impressed with it for power and it didn't like my dth satellite audio, so I exchanged it for a RX-V3300 for roughly the same price. I've had the 3300 for about two weeks now and it somehow doesn't sound as open as my 2300. I'm starting to think it's just my ears, but wonder if it may have something to do with break in time.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Steve

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Maybe you just be running out of power. I'm not up on the specs of your receiver (IOW what does it actually deliver in R/L) nor what you're using for speakers, room size, where you sit, listening volumes, etc. Further, you may be comparing different things each time. Why don't you discuss the above items and maybe we can point a finger in the general direction? BTW, I trust you weren't moving your speakers or where you sat or furniture each time.

3. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    This might not be as detailed a reply as you're looking for, but here's my $.02.

IMO, all electronics, particularly anything with a "power output" stage, like amplifiers need a break in period.

If for nothing else, to get the electronics (transistors in this case) used to power cycling. Getting used, getting heated up, cooling down and doing it all over again.

In my experiences, I've found that my HT receiver sounds a bit smoother after a good break in. To me, a good break in consists of several weeks, containing some easy tasks (background music) and a bit of a beating (pick an action flick and crank it). [​IMG]

I've no scientifically-based, oscilliscope tested proof for this, just my ears.

As always, YMMV. 2.2% financing only available on the first Monday of the month, when the moon is full. Extended warranty only valid if purchased during a leap year, by a man wearing a chicken suit.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I do not personally believe in solid state electronics having any break in (tubes are a different animal.) My feelings are that if we hear a difference in our setup over time, it's us that is changing our perceptions of that sound.

The perception of what we hear is a tricky thing. Unless comparisons are made under identical conditions (including us, the listener (meaning health, mood etc.)) all bets are off. Habits, preferences, wants and wishes are things that are difficult to completely filter out. Bottom line is that humans are not scientific instruments and we can't be relied on to be totally objective...

5. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

The power section of any electronics will have a small break in period to allow for power cycling, etc... however this would be very small and unnoticable to your ear. Shouldn't be anything that would affect sound quality. I agree with Chuck on one note though, it is probably a matter of perception and habit. When I got my new receiver I instantly fell in love with the sound, since I upgraded from a crappy RCA, my case was much more drastic than your own and easier to hear. It still took me a little while to get used to what I was hearing though.

6. Steve Winkler

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking it's mostly my ears and mood. I went through the minor trouble of hooking up my RX-V2300 (that I still own )to my main speakers ( Dahlquist QX-9's )and cd player last night. It sounds the same as my current RX-V3300. I have not changed a thing in the rest of the set-up. A/B'd between the two receivers using an SPL meter and the same music selections. That's as scientific as I can get.[​IMG]

Quite sure I didn't need the upgrade but it's too late now.

I may try out the front effects speakers the RX-V3300 allows for as soon as I pick up some more speaker wire and banana plugs. I can't set it up as per the Yamaha suggestions with the effects speakers outside the mains, but I'll give it a whirl any way.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

7. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Perhaps you'd be better off comparing a different brand receiver? This may help chase the elusive sound that your after.

8. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

It took about a week for the heated plastic smell to dissipate from my HK receiver. Considering how warm HK's run, I would call that a "burn in" period. [​IMG]

9. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

I think he'd be better off chasing a different set of speakers or looking at his positioning and room treatments.

10. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

IMHO, there is no break in. There is a burn in. Sometimes done at the factory. Sometimes done by the consumer. [​IMG] The purpose is to flush out any early life failures.

11. MikeRP

MikeRP Supporting Actor

I don't think there is anything but burn in also.

However, speakers are the opposite opinion for me.

Mike

12. Stephen Weller

I agree. Only because a speaker is an electro-mechanical device. The end result is imperceptible to me.

So how long does it take to break in a speaker?

13. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

good one Andrew E LMAO!

14. Steve Winkler

I'm actually quite happy with my speakers and their performance ( for the money, I don't think I could've bought a better set-up ), just thought that perhaps the new receiver needed a little more time to "break in ".

There isn't much difference between the two I was comparing (the Rx-V2300 and Rx-V3300), except for more power, weight, damping factor, effect channels, few more dsp's. After comparing the sound head to head, I am very satisfied, movies especially. I just wanted some upgrade reassurance.[​IMG] I could have taken home a HK AVR630 or perhaps a Pioneer Elite from last year,( not sure on the models 41tx or 43tx??) and tried them out, but that's too much driving in & out of the city and too many wires to unhook and hook up. I may experiment with my toe in on my mains but other than that, no other significant changes.

Thanks again for your input everyone,

Cheers,
    Steve

15. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Solid state electronics do not require break in. It's a known fact. Just ask any good EE [​IMG] Manufacturer's sometimes "burn-in" electronics (ie 24 hour run) to weed out devices that fail early (infant mortality). But I seriously doubt there is much burn-in on consumer electronics due to cost.

Mechanical systems like a car engine and a speaker with moving parts is a different story when it comes to break in.

Note that changes in furniture and wall and floor treatments along with speaker placement can change the room response and impact sound significantly...

16. Stephen Weller

There [rant]is[/rant] no such thing. [​IMG]