Receiver bass management?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David Strand, Jun 12, 2004.

1. David Strand

David Strand Agent

May 10, 2004
    I have a general question that leads to a more specific question:

1. How do you know how any particular receiver manages the LFE output with regards to x-over freq, and bass redirection based on large/small speaker settings? Does it usually tell you in the owner's manual?

2. I am currently using an Onkyo TX-DS676 receiver. (Few years old middle of the line, I think I paid around $700 at Circuit city at the time). There is absolutely no mention of how this particular receiver's bass management works in the manual. Does anyone happen to know if there is an LFE xover and what is the freq? How does it handle large/small speakers in a mixed configuration (large front, small center and surround)?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Jul 8, 1998
    BM can be a very complicated subject, and the manuals can be lacking.

Assuming that your Onkyo does not have adjustable crossover frequency, you can safely assume its probably a fixed frequency that applies to all loudspeakers set to small.

You would really need to ask them (assuming that it is not in the specs) to know what the frequency is, as well as the slope of the LP and HP crossover.

As for the LFE channel, that is normally passed straight on to sub channel. If you have no sub, and set the main L/R to large (sometimes setting a receiver to No Sub does this automatically), the .1 channel should be redirected to the main L/R. I do not believe that this is a frequency dependent issue.

Most receivers do that correctly, but not all. To know for sure, get a test disc (like Avia) that has a series of test tones that can prove that bass in the main channels gets re-directed to the sub (for a sub/sat system), and also that bass that is only in the .1 channel is redirected to the mains (for a system w/o sub).

That will be the only way to know for sure that the BM is working correctly in your system configuration.