What's new

Receiver Bass Limiter vs EQ Subsonic Filter (1 Viewer)

John*S

Agent
Considering an EQ for my subs...

I'm trying to determine which is a better approach to allow max SPL without bottoming:

- the Bass Limiter adjustment on my Integra DTR 7.1 which allows me to crank up the bass to the point of distortion or bottoming, then set the bass output limit at that point.

OR

- a subsonic filter on an Equalizer to limit the real low bass (like 10Hz and below) the sub can't produce well anyway.

Is there an advantage of one over the other, or would even a combination of the two be the optimum?

Is using a subsonic filter, even at 10Hz, cutting off bass that would contribute to the listening/feeling experience?

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
John,
This is something I'm just diving into.. my BFD 1124p was ordered last night, and I've already d/l software to run on my PC to help analyze my sub's inroom response.
So my question is if you have considered a parametric eq for your sub to help sort out the acoustic dynamics of your HT room?
I don't know what you listen to that has 10 Hz and under bass, but I don't think there's much in the DVD world in that freq range... nor many subs that could reproduce it with any volume to speak of. So I'm guessing that a subsonic filter for 10 Hz would not buy you much. But I could be wrong and my ignorance may be showing. :)
BTW, I also use the Bass Limiter on my Onkyo 989. I may have to reset it after I eq my sub. Good question about combining that with an eq.
I'm trying to determine which is a better approach to allow max SPL without bottoming:
But to get back to your question, I'm of the impression that the best bet is to get your sub's response as flat as you can in your room. I think that will increase your headroom and help give you the max spl without bottoming as long as you are taming the peaks and not boosting the valleys.
At least, that's my theory based on reading and NO experience. ;)

John*S

Agent
Yes, there is definitely a benefit to flattening the response in your room, and I intended to do that as well.

But my question is really about the effectiveness of a subsonic filter vs the bass limiter on my receiver in allowing the maximum SPL from my subs. For example, I've read in various SVS-related posts that the bottoming some users have experienced at high volumes may have been caused by ultra low information on the DVD (rare I know) that the sub couldn't produce well anyway but knocked itself out trying and bottomed in the process.

So, a bass db limiter on our receivers (your 989 probably functions similarly to my DTR 7.1 since they're both Onkyo) can limit the output to avoid bottoming. However, if the bottoming is really being caused by the ultra low stuff, how much louder could the sub play (AND how much louder could you set the db limit) if that ultra low stuff wasn't there? This is where a subsonic filter would come into play.

But, does removing this ultra low information take anything away from the listening/feeling experience? Does removing it make a difference in how all the information interacts? Is there a negative side to doing this?

Bottom line, I'm trying to decide 1) if I need an EQ, 2) if I need to get one that has a subsonic filter or not and 3) what is the best way to use it to get the best results.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
I wish I had the expertise to answer your questions, John.

I can say that the only time I bottomed out my 20-39CS was when I was trying to set the Bass Peak Limiter function of the receiver!

And perhaps because I use the BPL, I've never heard the sub bottom out in any DVD I've watched.. even at ref level.

Maybe if you post your equipment (subs) someone can advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks