What's new

Receiver Basics (1 Viewer)

Dan.F

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm pretty new to HT & looking for some help on a receiver.

What features are "must haves"? I'm planning on a 6.1 system that will primarily be used for music listening and DVD watching (in that order). Should I have a separate DVD player or are the receivers with the built in DVD players of acceptable quality?

My receiver budget's about $400-$500. Any suggestions on makes/models would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Dan

StephenWE

Agent
The most common replies to a thread of this nature seems to be "Look at HK, Denon, and Marantz". A lot of people reccomend the S5400.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Some good manufacturers that you should be able to trust are: Denon, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo/Integra. There may by more, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above brands. I currently own a Yamaha and I'm very happy with it.

Have fun!

- Mike

SethH

Senior HTF Member
One thing you will find if you search through some similar threads is to check how the power is rated on the receivers you are looking at. Some receivers (like many Sony and Yamaha receivers) rate their power running only one channel at a time and at a frequency of 1khz. If volume is important you'll likely get much more volume from a receiver rated as 75 watts @ 20Hz-20,000khz than from one rated as 100 watts @ 1khz. So keep that in mind when looking at the specs of different receivers. Often brands like Harmon Kardon will be overlooked because people see it is rated at about 70 watts/channel and they run to a Sony rated at 100 watts/channel.

John S

Senior HTF Member
6.1 (6 descreet high current amps), 6.1 Processing modes, and with HDTV come'n on strong, I usually highly suggest component video switching of 50mhz bandwidth or higher.

Get a separate DVD player for sure.

ecost has the Onkyo SR-501 for like $185, and does it pack a wallup for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks