What's new

Receiver basic set up problems (1 Viewer)

editman

Agent
Real Name
Ken
I am having problems on basic set up with my Pioneer VSX 921 receiver. I have XP home and a wireless router connecting to a usb adapter that receives signals from it, to the PC.I have connected the LAN sockets on the receiver and PC via cable.A message on my desktop tells me that the local area connection has limited or no connectivity and I may not be able to access the internet or some net work resources .I have gone through the steps on the CD , until I get as far as where it says “the receiver cannot be detected on the network” and I cant find a way round this.Also the receiver is connected to a TV via a HDMI cable but I cant get anything to display on the TV.Can any one help please

editman

Agent
Real Name
Ken
Page 10 of the operating instructions and the rear panel connections show, from left to right, HDMI out -DC output for wireless LAN -LAN (10/100) -Coaxal in DVD

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Remember Ken, You have the U.K. model. The U.S. model doesn't have the LAN. And sorry, but I really don't know anything about hooking up a receiver to a computer or anything like that. :(

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have XP home and a wireless router connecting to a usb adapter that receives signals from it, to the PC.
That sentence confuses me, I really can't tell what's connected to what. And I'm not sure why you're trying to do with the USB adapter. But that aside, I don't think you can connect the receiver directly to the PC via ethernet. (Or if you can, I think you need a non-standard cable.) Try connecting each of them to the router. I'd use wired to start, just to take the wireless configuration out of the equation.

editman

Agent
Real Name
Ken
Gene, my fault, my excuse is my ignorance, I did not realise that Pioneer, in their wisdom would build in so many differences in a model with the same name. Must remember to mention I have a UK model.(which did come with a CD, BTW). Al, think I am confusing you when perhaps using non standard descriptions of the various parts.I will try and clarify,it probaly did not help when I am not sure of the proper terms.The router(modem?) is two rooms away from the PC and a wireless connection is made from that to a receiving device that is plugged in to a usb port the the rear of the PC.I have connected the AV Receiver LAN connection to the PC connection with a cable. Where this cable is plugged in is where a cable would have to be connected to the router if a wired connection had to be used to the PC.The cable has the same plugs on each end and here it is called a Cat 6 patch cable for networking and used for connecting cat 6 devices in networks.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Ha! Sorry, I'm still not following. Particularly this, "I have connected the AV Receiver LAN connection to the PC connection with a cable." Are you connecting the receiver to the PC's wireless connection? Unless that is a switch it won't work. Do you have a model# or a picture of the thing attached to your computer? The receiver and the PC can't be connected to each other directly, you have to connect each of them to a switch or router. It sounds like you have something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-USB300M-Cisco-Linksys-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B001NLV4TQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1327197971&sr=1-4 attached to your PC, and are then trying to use the PC's wired ethernet port to connect the receiver - that won't work.

editman

Agent
Real Name
Ken
Think I am beginning to see the light at the end of tunnel. The cable I have used would normally be used to connect the router to the PC if a wireless connection to the PC was not being used, nothing else is incorporated in the cable. The thing attached to the PCs usb port is a little box with a small antenna on it, this receives the wireless signal from the router. It is called a BT Voyager 1050 USB 2 Wireless Adapter, Voyager1050 - BT Voyager 54Mbps Superfast USB2 Wireless adapter . (BT= British Telecom). So, to get the receiver on line I need to connect it only to the router. Can I do this by connecting the Lan connection on the receiver directly to the router connection normally used for a wired connection to the PC. (hope this all makes sense)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
So, to get the receiver on line I need to connect it only to the router. Can I do this by connecting the Lan connection on the receiver directly to the router connection normally used for a wired connection to the PC.
Yes, that's the ticket! Try that and see if it works. If it does (and it should), but you don't want to run a cable between the two, you can later get a similar wireless adapter to place on your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks