receiver auto shut off or standby (H/K 320)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by peter_anderson, Mar 31, 2002.

1. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Is there such a thing as an auto shut off or standby after an extended period of use (no active source, just "on") for modern receivers? If i leave mine on overnight with no active sources, it almost always goes off into standby mode after 10 to 13 hours. Last night i left the CD player running on repeat mode, and after 14 hours i stopped the CD. 45 minutes later, the receiver went into standby.

I email Harman/Kardon about this, but don't expect a quick response. I know one other person had this issue with an AVR 520, but they returned theirs and claim the problem is gone. However, what the heck could possible cause this? It can't be heat, since the receiver is barely warm when not actually pushing sound, but very warm while watching a movie, etc. and then it never shuts off.

Thanks in advance. (i have had to do too many RMAs for computer parts at work and am sick of returning stuff)

2. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

Peter I think I was actually talking to you on another thread. I had the same exact problem with my 520. I did return it and so far the problem seems to be better. I cant say for sure yet though as I'd like to test it some more. I doubt HK will email you with anything really productive. I've emailed them twice before on other issues and their responses are always beating around the bush, you know talking to me like I don't have a clue. Anyhow let me know what they say cause I am curious.

3. Zack West

Zack West Extra

Peter, I've had a similar experience to yours. You can read about it here: http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ubb/u...;f=73;t=000139
    I eventually had the receiver swapped out for another new unit. The problem was still there but happened less often. I actually traced the issue down to the electrical wiring in my house. Got that fixed and now I'm a happy camper. Good luck.

4. peter_anderson

thanks for the replies so far! i had the AVR 320 on a Radio Shack surge strip (the good kind, with 10,000 protection) and just put it on an APC BackUPS 300. i will report on it if it turns off (no active source right now) or after 12 hours of no standby.

5. peter_anderson

after 16 hours, plugged into the APC 300 with no active source, the 320 is still on! i will check it at lunch (knock on wood)

6. peter_anderson

after almost exactly 26 hours, it shut off while i was sitting near it. (must be my presence?). turned it back on, and it was on all night. seems like it will always stay on twelve hours or more. strangely enough, it turned off not two seconds after i used the H/K remote to change the channel on the T.V. i put the remote in a drawer for this round of experimentation.

7. Brian AM

Brian AM Stunt Coordinator

I have an HK AVR 45 that used to go into standby mode unexpectedly. The Problem was I had loose speaker wire connections at the amp that was allowing the positive and negative to touch, creating a short and overloading the amp. Standby mode!

Hope this is the problem..

8. peter_anderson

so do i, except all speaker connections on the 320 are done with banana post, and the receiver isn't making sound when it goes into standby. good suggestion, though.

9. peter_anderson

yeah, i _was_ plugging my CD player in, and it went into standby automatically more frequently. i have done three experiments since and it eventually shut off every time. must....not....RMA....ack!

perhaps not even an APC BackUPS 300 does enough line conditioning on my crappy apartment electricity? nah, that doesn't make any sense because if i unplug the UPS from the wall, the receiver runs off the battery and doesn't shut off.

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The AVR320 I have at home has done this a few times too. The last time it happened I was moving some wiring around behind the unit, so I disconnected and reconnected everything and got rid of some really cheap cabling I was using. It hasn't shut down since and it's been at least 4 months.

11. peter_anderson

good idea; i am actually using some component video cables (three wires together) for just one connection and a two wire RCA for another one connection sub audio connect. still, how could "cheap" patch cords or any other wires cause this?

the advice so far has been really good! if only it didn't take at least 24 hours for each experiment.

12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I really doubt it had anything to do with the cheap cables, but as an A/V store owner, it was a bit of a sin anyway [​IMG]
    Another thought - is the unit well ventilated? It could be thermal protection kicking in.

13. peter_anderson

well, take a look at the pictures in my sig; there is approx. 1.5 inches open above the unit. i first guessed heat issues, but the receiver is completely inactive during my experiments, and during a 3 hour loud movie, it _never_ shuts off.

14. Brian AM

Brian AM Stunt Coordinator

If the banana connections on the receiver end are ok, then what about on the speaker end? Maybe there is bare wire showing out of the banana plug that is crossed or touching. Try re-threading the wire in all your banana plugs and see if that helps.

15. peter_anderson

Brian AM: i checked all the banana plugs, but after unplugging all the cables except the power, the receiver has continued to be on for 38 hours straight (no activity). apparently it is a cable problem somewhere (maybe the tv is sending bad electricity over the video feed from the receiver?)

Breck: sorry, it doesn't appear to be heat-related this time. since the auto-standby has only happened while the receiver is inactive, i doubt it is overheating just sitting there. nevertheless, i _will_ raise the shelf above it!

Thanks, all! i will trace down the bad cable/source over the next few days and report then.

16. peter_anderson

*UPDATE*
    here is some email i got back from posting my problem to H/K support. quite helpful!
    ----------------------------
    Thanks for the response! I have the unit on an MDF shelf, with another
    shelf 1.5 inches above. In order to narrow down the problem, I unplugged
    all sources and speakers and put a small fan pushing air from the right to
    the left. Waiting 26 hours between adding each source, I now have a CD
    player, VCR, subwoofer, computer (USB DAC), all speakers and optical DVD
    audio connected, and the unit has been on, with periodic CD playing, for
    more than five days. Also, the 320 and the CD player are plugged into an
    APC standby UPS. At this point, the cause was either heat, or the fact I
    was previously running video from the DVD and VCR through the 320 to the TV,
    which I am no longer doing. Somebody on www.hometheaterforum.com mentioned
    their "cheap" cables caused a similar problem on their 320. I _was_ running
    unshielded RCA cables for the VCR audio and TV video.
    I think there is a 60% chance it was thermal shutdown, but why it never went
    into shutdown during a loud three hour movie, is a mystery! The unit was
    never too hot to touch during any movie, and never warmer than my old AVR
    20II.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: "'Peter W. Anderson'"
    Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 5:18 PM
    Subject: AVR320 - Goes into standby
    > Hi Peter,
    > I doubt this is a feature, certainly not one I am aware of or
    > detailed in the owner's manual. I am also hesitant to call it a problem,
    > which was my first reaction, thinking it may be a case of thermal
    shut-down.
    > However you say the unit remains on the entire time if a source is playing
    > through the receiver and only goes into standby when no signal is passing
    > through the unit. I am stumped. I will try to duplicate this with my
    AVR520
    > and I will also pass your observation all to the product manager of the
    > AVR320 for his reaction. I will let you know what I find out.
    > Regards,
    > Ernie Luedemann
    > Web Support 3
    >
    > PS: If responding back, please always include previous correspondence.
    > This is the only way for me to keep up on your situation. Thank you.>
    >
    >
    >
    > -----Original Message-----
    > From: Peter W. Anderson [mailto:[email protected]]
    > Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 9:39 AM
    > To: Web Support
    > Subject: Harmankardon.com: Questions regarding Harman Kardon North/South
    > American Products
    >
    >
    > A message from:
    > Peter W. Anderson
    > Email:
    > [email protected]
    > Message:
    > Model Number: AVR 320
    > If the receiver is left on overnight, it goes into standby mode after 10
    > to 14 hours. No source is active when this happens. When a CD is playing
    > the whole time, it stays on for 14 hours, but then I stopped the source,
    > and it went into standby in 45 mintues. Weird! Is this a problem or a
    > "feature"?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Tech Note:
    > 207.54.186.22,,Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; T312461)
    >

17. Caleb_W

Caleb_W Auditioning

I experienced the same problem. After hours of troubleshooting, I found the problem, it's electrical. When the stove/oven in my house is turned on the reciever (I assume) senses an adnormality in the current and protects itself by shutting down. I verified this by turning on the stove/oven while the reciever is on and minutes later it shuts down. I turned the stove/oven off and the reciever stays on without a glich. I advise everyone to take note on what appliance is on when the problem occurs....ex: Stove, A/C, washer/dryer etc. This could be the problem. Good luck![​IMG]