Receiver Auditions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry*P, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Larry*P

Larry*P Agent

Dec 17, 2002
    Very new to this game, but used to be VERY into audio about 20 years ago. Along came wife & kids, well you know the rest...[​IMG]
    My question(s) are:
    When auditioning receivers, what should I consider adequate concerning numbers of inputs/outputs on the unit? IOW what is the minimum that I should be looking for. Also, what other features should be considered must-haves? What should be considered like-to-haves?
    Consider my budget to be around $900 or so...
    Thanks in advance for your help[​IMG]
  2. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Oct 21, 2001
    Lets put this to the top, see if anyone answers.
    I have never looked at $900 receivers, so I cant help =)
  3. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

Apr 16, 2002
    The easy answer is: "That depends!" [​IMG] Actually, I would suggest that you make a list of equipments you currently own and likely to buy in the next year or so. Then make sure that the receiver can support all of them.
    Of the devices to be connected, check the digital source and ensure you have that many digital (optical or co-ax) inputs and outputs.
    Ensure at least you have 1 or 2 multi-ch input (7.1) for future expansions. Check bass management on multi-ch inputs.
    Ensure you have enough S video or Component video connections (at least 2 inputs and 1 output).
  4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    This thread on the Receiver Comparison Chart could be of use to you. Most of the data comes from the November issue of Sound & Vision. You might want to check the local library for a back-issue.
    My only advice is to PLAN FOR THE FUTURE. This means enough video inputs/outputs to handle things for the next ... 5 years.
    Assume you are going to have:
    - HDTV decoder
    - Sat receiver
    - Game System
    - DVD player
    I'm also going to move this post over to the Receivers section as it may get more expert opinions.