What's new

Receiver as video switcher? (1 Viewer)

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, is anyone using their A/V receiver as a video switcher? (via component) What are your results as far as picture quality? I'd rather not have to buy a switcher if I don't have to. thanks

SethOakley

Agent
Al,

I currently have a Denon 2803 and use the component video switching through it. It does the switching at 100MHZ, and for my eyes, I have seen no loss in quality. I may be wrong but I think HDTV needs to be transmitted at 36MHZ?? Don't quote me on that, so it seems the 100MHZ my Denon has is up to the task. The claim that there is no loss in quality. I've actually told people that I think it almost looks better through the receiver, almost like a signal "booster" does for cable. Anyway, I think it probably depends on what the receiver will do the switching at, a lot of them only do 30MHZ.

As none of this answer is scientific, I hope it helps you in some way.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's not just the quality of the switching, but the number of inputs.

Last year, many receivers offered 2 component inputs. The cheapest unit that had 3 component inputs ran about $2300.

(I'm not up on current receiver prices so it's likely cheaper now.)

This was an issue because people started getting:

- Progressive Scan DVD player
- HD CATV or SAT box

Then they added in a game system or some other source with component inputs.

As Seth pointed out - check the bandwidth numbers on the video switching. Just because it says "Component" does not mean it is compatible with Progressive/HD.

Here are some numbers for you to keep in mind:

Component Video: (480i) 4 Mhz max
Progressive Video (480p) 12 Mhz max
HD Video (720/1080): 35 Mhz max

In general, you want the receiver/switcher to have a bandwidth 3-4 times the highest frequency you plan to push through it.

So if your highest quality source is component video or progressive video, a receiver with 35 Mhz bandwidth is fine.

If you plan on having a 720 or 1080 source, the receiver should have a bandwidth in the 100 Mhz range.

The $150 for a nice, 4-input HD Compatible switcher is not a bad way to go.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
The $150 for a nice, 4-input HD Compatible switcher is not a bad way to go.
What model?

This is very interesting to me as well due to the fact that I am about to get an X-BOX and an HDTV set top box. I will now have 4 component products and only two component inputs on my tv. I do have Marantz's flagship receiver. The SR-9200, so do you think that it will due a good job of video processing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks