Receiver as video switch - what impact does composite video bandwidth have?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Richard C, Nov 12, 2003.

1. Richard C

Richard C Extra

OOPs. Title should say "component video"...

That "read this first thread" is great! But there's one question I still have for which I can't find an answer.

I've bought a new Sony KF42WE610 and Denon DVD1600 - both to be delivered next week.

I understand that my current Denon 2500 A/V receiver is hopelessly outdated with only Dolby Pro-logic. So, I'm going to replace it.

I love that receiver from an audio standpoint (I have it driving Kef Q70s for music) and it has served me well for the basic HT I have now. (Kef center speaker and Polk Audio surrounds with a Velodyne sub.

It also has served me as a video switch, which is important since my kid's grandparents need to be able to simply change from TV to VCR to DVD - pushing one button has been ideal.

Initially, I'm looking at two Denon recievers to replace, the 2803 and 1804. Biggest question is this.

The 1804 says is has 2 component inputs with assignable bandwidth of 27 (perhaps 30. Depends on the version of literature I'm reading).

The 2803 has 2 component inputs with assignable bandwidth of 100.

How will that impact me? Are either of those adequate to use as a video switch with both DVD and HDTV signals? What does assignable bandwidth really mean in this case?

Thanks!

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Richard.

Most people save the complexity by wireing directly to the TV from the HD video sources. A inexpensive remote control can be used to keep the TV and receiver in sync with a single button push for each device.

While it's not a good idea to run Progressive/HD video through a receiver unless it is HD rated, it WILL appear to work. There will be a loss of focus and some other problems, but nothing will be damaged.

This thread on
    Inexpensive HD Video Switching has a lot of good information, and several product recomendations for external switchers for about $150 that will learn from your remote to keep the audio & video in sync. If the price difference between the 1804 & 2803 is more than $150, these would be a good alternative. (And the switch box's give you 4 inputs, not just 2 - remember you may have a DVD player, HD cable box and a XBox - all of which provide a progressive/HD signal).

Hope this helps.

3. Richard C

Richard C Extra

Bob,

That helps a whole lot. The remote solution does seem to be a simple yet great one. Passes the grandparent test yet removes potential sources of degradation from the setup.

Appreciate the switch link as well. The AVR price difference is $300, so that will be a worthwhile read.

Many Thanks!