What's new

Receiver and speakers (1 Viewer)

JamesRo

Auditioning
I’m in the process of researching different equipment for my home theater system, and am looking at the audio side. Needless to say, I am pretty clueless about audio and the like. Sooo…where do I start? I’m looking for a low-midend or high-lowend receiver with decent speakers. Around the $300-$500 range. Two basic reasons for this…one, is my hearing is not that discerning. I really can’t tell the difference between a good MP3 (192 kbs+) and CD quality sound. Second, I will be living in an apartment for the next year and don’t need to get kicked out :) So, on my first receiver, what features should I look for as I do my research? About power...what is the minimum for the type of receiver I’m looking at? I understand I should get as much as a can afford, but where should I draw the line?

From just browsing the forum and looking at their respective websites, I’ve found a couple candidates. The Denon 1804 or 2803 and Yamaha RX-V540 or RX-V640. What are the general feelings on these units? Options and reasons why one is better than the other. I know there is no substitute for listening to the units in person, I plan on trying that, but it would be great to hear what folks think. Any “gotchas” I should be aware of with any of the receivers?

What should I look for in entry level speakers? Looking to go 5.1 (again, I don’t know how much benefit *I* would get from a 7.1 setup). Any brands that consistency get good reviews? Looking to spend about $1000 on this portion of the setup. So total, I would like to spend no more than $1,500 on the audio system.

I know it’s a pretty broad topic and the knowledgeable folks here answer these “newbie” questions all the time, so I appreciate the time to respond. As much information as you can give me would be great.

Lin

Grip
Good Morning James --

Check out AV123.com. They have a special going right now with the Denon 1804 and their new ELT speakers - a 5.1 system with sub. My ELT speakers just arrived and I am waiting on a Denon receiver to come this week. The speakers are great. This package is within your price range and these speakers are beautiful and have gotten some great reviews so far.

Tim Streagle

Stunt Coordinator
Your power requirements for the reciever are directly dependent on the efficiency of the loudspeakers. Highly efficient speakers (>89 dB @ one watt) need much less power vs. inefficient speakers (

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I would suggestion for a reciever something that would be a good entry level is the Harman/Kardon AVR-125. It runs about $300 or so for a refurbished and will deliver I believe 45watts of power. Now unlike Yamaha these readings are very accurate and also can be under-rated. I read in a couple of places that the Yamaha saying they are rated for 100w x5 channels will only deliver about 40w of power. Also, the HK is a very neautral reciever unlike the Yamaha which is bright. Not to mention the HK's eye candy.

Also, for speakers. It depends on what you are looking for too. Are you more interested in Home Theater using a 5.1 channel setup or just plain old music audio.

If Home Theater is the case then for around $1000 I would recommend Klipsch's synergy line, and I don't mind Klipsch for music either. If your going to be playing more music than movies then I might say move with Athena then just because it isn't as bright.

A basic rundown is that Klipsch speakers are brighter than most. Delivering the vocals stronger than most other speakers which makes them ideal for Home Theater so you can hear everything very clear and make it out even at lower volumes. For music though they some people think they are too bright so you might want to go with a more neutral speakers (JBL or Athena for example).

I hope this helps in your decision, but for recievers I would definantly stick to the Harman Kardon... without a doubt.

JamesRo

Auditioning
Thanks for the info folks! I'm looking into the HK along with the Denon for my receiver, the Yamaha is pretty much out (for now!). Couple questions.

1. Is there any way to compare apples to apples when looking at power ratings? It kind of makes it difficult to pick the best receiver out there when the 45 W one could be as good or better then the 90 or 100 W one. Is there a common spec that can be compared across the board? If not, how can you tell if a lower watt unit will do the job without taking it home?

2. What exactly is Mulit-Zone? I see it as a feature on a lot of the recievers.

Thanks a ton guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks