What's new

Receiver and Speakers for around $850? (1 Viewer)

Chris<>S

Auditioning
Hi everyone, I have been reading for a while but just registered. Anyway, my wife has :D allowed me :D to splurge just a little to put together a 6.1 HT system. The problem is a limited budget and the fact that I will be getting a DVD burner with approximately $350 of my "allowance", so I only have $850 left to get a receiver and speakers. I considered an HTIB (Onkyo HTS-770 for around $425) but it seems obvious that most here feel that with a little shopping around, you can find better bargains, so I thought I would ask for some opinions.

After reading quite a bit, I am leaning toward the Pioneer VSX-1014 and either Fluance, HSU, Paradigm or some combination for the speakers.

My living room is 13x18 with a 7 ft. wide doorway opening into another room that is approximately 13x9 (I will be buying a new house in 6-9 months so I expect this room size to be a little larger in the future). The HT will be used about 65% of the time for movies. I would like the ability to upgrade to 7.1 later but it isn't a dealbreaker.

Can anyone recommend a system that meets my needs on this budget? Recommendations for online retailers would be appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

Guy Strem

Auditioning
Spend most of your $$ on speakers Chris. The speakers tend to be the deciding factor in a good sound system.

Let's say you spend $50.00 on a pair of speakers and $500.00 on a receiver. Would it sound better or worse than if you spent $50.00 on a receiver and $500.00 on a pair of speakers?

If you really want to save some $$, listen to many different types of speakers and build your own. The first cabinets I ever built were copies of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre A7's. Paid someone to do the horn flared part of the cabinet, and built the rest myself. I built them for 1/4 or 1/3 of the cost of new. A pair of them today are something like $6800.00.

Some manufacturers (like JBL) will provide you with blueprints of their any speaker you want. Or you could pick up a used set of 12's or 15's and call them and ask -
"What size cabinet would you recommend for this type of driver?" They will tell you port volume, L x W x H, how to brace it internally, and every other thing you need to know. All you have to do is know how to use a circular saw and how to cut a straight line. Any cabinet should be glued and screwed. There's lots of info and tips on speaker building online if you need help.

Do it and save yourself a lot of money.

Guy

Chris<>S

Auditioning
Thanks Guy, but right now I don't have the tools/space/time to do it myself. Once upon a time I did do a lot of stuff like this myself but unfortunately I can't at this time.

If you had to buy a receiver and speakers but only had $850, what would you get?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Entry Level Yamaha receiver with some paradigm titans as fronts and surrounds, a CC-170 center speaker and a Sony Sawma40 sub with the easy modifications would be great for you. The Sony sub can be purchased for $100 at Sears...it is $200 elsewhere....it's not an SVS but it is ok. Paradigm is great for the money...I know people love Axiom too.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
Pioneer VSX-1014 receiver $399
3pr Rocket LRS in cherry $129 pr
Dayton 10" powered sub $125.

Roughly $900.

You can substitute the Rockets with Infinity Primus 150 if you don't like cherry speakers.

Another option is to get the receiver, sub and two speakers for now and then add the centers and surrounds later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks