What's new

Receiver and speakers for $700? (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to get a decent receiver and 5.1 speaker set up for around $700? My wife wants to spend this much for a new system in our family room (theater will be in the basement), since she is planning to get a 42" RPTV. I would prefer not to get a HTIB so all suggestions will be appreciated.

The room is kind of big, but we only want something decent since we have the home theater in the basement.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would say a setup consisting of 3 pairs of Rocket ELT speakers ($130 a pair on clearance), a Dayton 10" sub ($130) and a modest receiver would be a very good system for that budget and intended uses (sedondary system). Other speaker options would be JBL E20s or E30s and an EC25 center for about the same price.

Hope this helps :)

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

I think you can do better.
If you're thinking polk, check out outpost.com (quickly, because the prices flucuate often). Right now, for ~$400 you could get a CSi30, R30's for fronts, and R15's for rears. Many will probably try to dissuade you from the R series polks, but they'll beat what you're looking at, and I've been very happy with mine. The CSi3 is not a perfect match for the R series, but most polks have a similar sound. I have the R50's matched with a CSi line center and RTi surrounds and they are tonally matched. That would leave about $300 for a receiver and sub...No problem. Look for the Dayton 10" from partsexpress.com and the Onkyo TX-SR502 (might have to go refurbished to keep under budget)...forget the Sony. I bet you'd be pleased with this setup considering the tight budget. Good luck.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Brian, I will take a look.

After looking into the Circuit City offer, I decided against it. I don't have an affinity to Polk, I am just trying to find the best that I can get for the price range I am looking for.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Great recommendations! Just a heads up. The Onk 602B, as a refurb, at jandr is $249.99 (this morning's ny times, back of the science section). They do a great job with packaging and you get a a 1 yr ltd warranty. Shipping and tax might be an issue though since you are a NY member. They also have the 502 as a refurb for $149, which I bought for my cousin and he loves it as an entry level receiver.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Nothing better for the money- nothing! It's that good for the money, but there are other factors to consider, such as room size, how much volume you want, how low you need it to go, etc. But for the money and compared to others, it's the best you can get. I don't think you can DIY for that money, unless you have some spare materials. It's a no brainer in terms of cost value.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If appearance is important in the living room, a very small integrated HTiB would fit the bill perfectly. DVD player and receiver in one, modest "sub", and tiny speakers. If your "real" system is going to be in the basement you should not be too anal about quality. You can get something in a HTiB for a very low price and it should have very high WAF.

If you're looking for something a bit better than that, you can get a great deal on Fluance speakers, and throw in your favorite front end.

If you're looking for bargains and still want a warrantee, look into refurbished gear.

If you're looking for the absolute best sound you can get, start looking at the "for sale" forum for used gear and don't be afraid of something a few years old.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Philip, one main reason I am not interested in a HTIB is that most of them come with a DVD player, I already have one so no need paying twice for something. Even though it is my secondary viewing location, I still want something that will sound "nice", so I am guessing I can something better tahn a HTIB for the price. We will leave the HTIB for the bedroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks