Receiver and Speaker setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andre Aguiar, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Currently finishing up my apartment (house really) and am almost done. Right now here is my setup:
    Toshiba SD3109
    Toshiba 36A60 (36" SuperTube)
    BetterCables Silver Serpent Component and Digital Coax cables
    What I'm looking to pickup is a receiver and speakers. I'm currently looking at the Onkyo TXDS-787 and TXDS-696. Starting to lean towards the 696 for its DPL2 but the 787 is THX Select.
    Also would like to get some speakers. Nothing too big. Was looking at the Bose Acoustimas 10 but heard a lot of bad reviews.
    Anyone suggest any speaker setup similar to the Bose? Would like to get them in white if possible.
    Thanks
    Andre

2. David Traube

David Traube Auditioning

Let me be the first to tell you to put Bose right out of the picture. You're not likely to find a single person here that will recommend them. You can do MUCH better for the money. To be honest I can't think of any speakers that come in white right off the top of my head. Maybe Polk but I'm not sure about that. You can find many speakers in a light wood finish. Look through some of the home theater magazines and see if anything strikes you. Then find a nearby dealer and take a listen. Really the most import thing is that you like the sound of the speakers. I understand the need for aesthetics but you have to like the way they sound first or there is really no point.
    p.s. After looking through the latest issue of Sound & Vision I see that Boston Acoustics makes a white speaker.
    ------------------
    DMT
    Equipment Pictures: http://www.wizardtheater.homestead.com/

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    NHT SuperOne's come in white (i think most of their speakers come with a black or white choice). they're good, semi-cheap, and will run well with the onkyo.
    check out onecall.com for the NHT's and The Bose FAQ to answer all questions about Bose.
    lmk what you think of the FAQ...

4. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

I have heard that Bose is simply a marketing company. Mind you I don't have that much room to play with. Would like to have cube style speakers that would sit on a stand (floor speakers would be too big especially since it would obstruct one of the door ways leading into the next room).
    Have heard some good things on Paradigm speakers on a few forums but have not heard of them other than that.
    Any insights on the Paradigm speakers??

5. Dan Seliger

Dan Seliger Stunt Coordinator

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

nOrh 4.0 ceramics can be ordered in white (actually closer to a cream color from what I've heard). Five go for $850.

7. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

Definitive Technologiy Pro-Cinema's come in white if I am not mistaken..

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    FYI: the Super Zero and Super One have been replaced with new models (maybe the whole lineup?) and the do come in white. These were some great speakers for the money though. I have seen the new models, but not had a chance to listen to them.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Andre. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    Yes, Bose spends much more money in it's marketing department than it's research/engineering.
    Most speakers give you 3 drivers: a 1" tweeter, a 3-7" mid-range, and a woofer.
    Bose gives you an over-sized 4" tweeter and a small "bass module" instead of a woofer.
    They give you less drivers, but charge you more.
    (But they are not as bad as everyone makes out). [​IMG]
    If you have severe space issues or some SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) issues, you can buy Bose.
    But keep in mind that most small speakers can be painted with no impact on the sound (Some even come un-finished so you can paint them yourself).
    The Paradigm speakers have a wonderful reputation. But they are of the "bookshelf" size rather than the micro-cube. Most of the other recomendations (DefTech, Klipsch) are micro sized. The NHT's are bookshelf sized.
    Remember that the problem with both the micro and bookshelf speakers is they have no BASS. You need to budget both money and space for an external speaker called a sub-woofer (or "sub").
    Another good speaker (but only in black) is the Energy Take-5. This speaker set was selling for $550, but recently has been seen for as low as $250 at Good Guys. But you want to add one of the external subs.
    Good luck.

10. Andre Aguiar

Andre Aguiar Agent

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.
    I have really been torned up on which receiver to get. Have also been looking at the Denon 3801 and Harmon/Kardon receivers. Between those 2 and the Onkyo's I'm at a loss.
    As for the speakers I could get away with bookshelf speakers as my current setup consists of an entertainment amoire with 1 open bookshelf case and 1 closed bookshelf case (speakers could be placed on top of the cases). But if I get the cube/micro sized speakers I would be able to seperate the speakers more towards the corners of the room to get more of a "coverage" of sound.
    I understand I would need a sub in anycase. That wouldn't be a problem.
    My father offered to build some speakers for me. I told him of my space issue. He said, well, in order for them to sound right we would have to build them up to the ceiling. Don't think so. My house was built in 1932 and have 8.5 to 9 foot ceilings. The wife would defenitly bark at that idea.
    What I'll do is once I get a chance I'll take some snaps of my current living room so you guys can get a feel of what space I have to work with.
    Again, as far as speakers go I really want some good sound speakers (Klipsh, Paradigm etc...) but am also on a budget as well. Bose looks nice. From what I hear, thats all they are good for are their looks. Their sound isn't what they make it out to be.
    Appreciate all the inputs.
    Thanks
    Andre

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I dont know whats worse: not enough choices or too-many.
    On the receiver issue, Harmon/Kardon seems to be struggling for market/distributors so I worry about cost-cutting measures. The Dennon 3801 is getting a great reputation. I'm not as familar with the Onkyo line-up, but I'd advise against looking for THX-Select as a feature. (Not that THX is a bad idea, but units with the certification cost 20% or more than compariable units without it).
    So stick with the Dennon/Onkyo choices.
    Good Luck.

12. Art_C

Art_C Stunt Coordinator

Well, I have the Onkyo 696 and I love it. I think generally this forum has a pretty high opinion on both the Dennon and Onkyo. With the 3801 perhaps slightly higher on the list. The deciding factor for me was the DPLII on the 696. The 3801's replacement is suppose to have the DPLII but it's going to be a few more months before it's out.
    For speakers what's your budget? I have the HTD Level III towers, mains and center. You can get 2 sets of the mains and the center for ~$540 + $20 s/h. They would take them back and pay for the shipping if you are not happy with them. I would not recommand getting their Level III sub, but they are suppose to have a new sub which is better. I got the towers because they have better bass response than the mains and would work better w/o a sub.

13. Tim M

Tim M Auditioning

i have the onkyo 787 with atlantic technology system 270
    and they sound great, both are THX select and i think the
    system 270 comes in white also.

14. Amit Patel

Amit Patel Agent

I have a Bose AM 15 speakers with Power sub with sony STR-DA555ES receiver, I am happy with the Bose speakers. I noticed most forum friends do not like Bose, they have some kind of vengeance with Bose speakers. Do not believe someone who has just heard about Bose and have not experienced or own it. I do believe that newer model like AM 15 with Power sub are good speakers, I know this because I own it, if you happen to be in the Bowie, MD areas, feel free to experience it bring your favorite DVD and experience yourself.