What's new

receiver and a 4ohm load (1 Viewer)

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
got a pioneer VSX-1014TX and wanting to get some polk Lsi9's but dunno how well the pioneer would do with them, it safe to 6ohms infact the UK manual even says it dose 150x2 at 6ohms and i know it can drive 4ohms because HT mag tested the VSX-52 (same thing) and it pushed skyward of 220watts per channel at a 4ohm resistance but i doubt this was a long term test, whats everyone think.

SteveMetcalf

Agent
The amp wont break, but you should have a listen. The lower impedance affects the high frequency response. Also, if you decide to do this, make sure the amp has full access to all the electricity it wants. A separate plug maybe? 20amp feed? At the very least put a line conditioner so you can monitor line supply voltage. Don't let it drop below 108 volts.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes it will drive them, but you are driving the amp much closer to it's limits. This means you will have far less headroom and a greater risk of clipping during dynamic peaks. If you have a larger room, I would say it probably isn't a good idea, especially considering the entire LSi line is 4 Ohm, so adding in matching center and surrounds will almost certainly push that receiver to it's limit.

That receiver has preamp outputs, so you could add external amplification that is 4 Ohm stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks