Receiver/Amp/Processor dilemmas

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Teddy-P, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Teddy-P

Teddy-P Auditioning

Hello all. I am in the process of picking out some new LARGE front speakers...brand TBD. At any rate, I have a Yamaha RX-V2200 as the receiver. My plan was to pick up a 2-3 channel amp to drive the front 2-3 speakers. The problem is the 2200 has only one crossover--90, which defeats the purpose of having large mains. Any way around this? I would love to go the routes of full separates, but $$ limits me from doing so at this time. Is there a new, cheaper receiver available that would sufficiently drive the rear speakers while acting as a processor for the fronts? Any ideas, thoughts, recommendations?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your receiver has only one crossover point, but that does not mean you need to USE it. Set your mains to large, and you don't have a problem.

I don't get what you are asking? You still need amplification for the fronts. If you are asking about running external power for the mains, you should have no problem with that either, given the level of this receiver, I would expect it to have pre-amp outputs for all channels.

3. Teddy-P

Teddy-P Auditioning

True, I don't have to use the crossover, but would like that flexibility. In most comparisons I've found 40-60 much better sounding than 90.

You answered correctly, I was planning external amplification for the fronts through the preouts on the receiver, which it does have.

Thanks for the input...would like the flexibility of multiple crossover points (and a warmer sounding receiver).

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I think your next bet would be to look into an ICBM. Should give you what you are looking for.