What's new

Receiver/Amp Dilemma! Need advice (1 Viewer)

I have been using a Sony STR-DE925 receiver in our new den (our old garage). It drives three DCM KX-series speakers in the front, two Mission 701 speakers as rears, and a Audiosource SW-15. I use it exclusively for movies (DVD, laserdisc, and SVHS sources).
I am not exactly thrilled by the amps in the Sony. The unit seems very "unfocused" to me when I play it at loud volumes. On a whim, I picked up a Parasound HCA-806A multi-channel amp ... only to discover that the DE925 does not have pre-amp outs! DOH!
The features I ultimately want for my home theater will be:
DD 5.1 and 6.1
DTS and DTS-ES
DPLII
At least 4 digital inputs
Pre-amp outs (for the Parasound if I end up using it)
With a budget of $500 and a time frame of no more than six months, I see several options:
1) Find a cheap pre-amp (aren't those terms mutually exclusive?)
2) Replace the receiver with another that provides sufficiently clean power at high volume levels
3) Replace the receiver with an Onkyo, HK, or similar model that may not have the strongest amps, but does provide pre-amp outs so that I can use the Parasound
4) Sell the Parasound, tell myself that the Sony is all I'll need, then stop reading forums like this one ;)
Advice or recommendations welcome!
Kevin

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
#3.

The biggest pinch here is the budget but for that money you can do an HK 320 new from JandR.com and get 7.1 pre-amp outputs and 8 channel inputs. Of course, if it were me I'd just kick in the extra for the 520.

#4 is out of the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks