What's new

Receiver advise (1 Viewer)

maelstrom

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Lilly
Hello everyone,
My first posting so please be patience. I am looking for advise for a replacement receiver for my dearly departed Yamaha RX-V1800 which perished as a result of some water damage. My existing sytem consists of Definitive Tech speakers: 2 x BP10 fronts, 2 x SR8080 sides, 1 x SR8080 rear, a CR8060HD center, and a Prosub1000. My sources are a HD satelite TV, and PSB3 and I'm viewing it via an Epson 1080P projector.
I have been looking at the new Yamaha RXA series ( the 1010 & 810 models) along with comparable competitors such as Onkyo TX NR717& NR818, HK AVR3650, Marantz SR5007, and Denon 2313CI and 3312CI.
Any thoughts or expericences as to which of these may be a better match for my existing equipment?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon and Marantz are the same thing now. Believe it or not, there are more differences between Onkyo and Integra. Yes Onk/Int look the same on the outside, but the differences inside are greater than a Denon to Marantz...
Aside from that...
The Yam RX-A line is built like a tank. The only issue I have with them(just like Pioneer/Elite) is the lack of a multi-crossover.
Since you have the BP10, personally I think you'd be better served by a HK, Onk or Denon.
All of the receivers you've put out there are worthy of consideration.
The one main advantage to Marantz(provided D&M hasn't removed it) over Denon is each speaker can be given its own crossover...otherwise it has has to be done by "the pair".
And speaking of that "Marantz crossover" feature...they are the only ones(at this budget) that do that. Onk/Int and HK don't do it either.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I thought I would chime in on Onkyo/Integra. I currently have an Onkyo that needs servicing (TX-NR5007). At the time it was their top of the line flagship receiver. I have been trying to get a hold of their customer support for, I kid you not, well over a month. I called their number and was on hold for over 1.5 hours before giving up. Called another time and left a call back number and they have yet to return my call. Left messages on there email system that seem to be ignored. It has been a nightmare. While I really liked my receiver, the fact that it broke down almost to the day when the warranty expired plus I just can't get them to give me any service makes me real hesitant to purchase any product from them again.

maelstrom

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Lilly
thanks everyone for your replies. Seems to be a lot of comments concerning Onkyo reliability issues which is too bad as the features on a lot of their units were pretty complete and interesting. Another model I was considering is a Pioneer SC1526K although I cant seem to find many reviews concerning this unit. It seems to be comparable to one of their Elite models, the SC55, which if true, could be pretty sweet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you are worried about Onkyo customer service, spend the coin on the Integra version...
There is a night and day difference. And, since you can't buy an Integra online...you'll have an actual store to talk to if you have a problem.

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
Well in interest of full disclosure, after many many many tries I was finally able to get a hold of customer support for Onkyo. I do have to give it to them. When I talked to the guy he informed me that the receiver was out of warranty. When I told him about the trouble I had with contacting him he pretty much right away gave me a "one time" voucher to have my receiver serviced and repaired.

It was a royal PITA to get a hold of these guys, but once I did they treated me right. I guess you can take that however you want to.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Even though I own a Pioneer Elite SC-05 I would go with a Denon! If I didn't have the Pioneer Elite and had some cash right now I would go with a Denon. The Integra's are nice and sound good as well and there are a few other choices depending on how much of the state of the art new features you just have to have? There is Rotel and Anthem and Marantz and Pioneer Elite but I hear the newer Elite series has a higher failure rate than the older ones. The Denon's have good sound and good amplifier section as well as alot of features.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Lots of solid advice, so I'll chime in with my opinion. Since you had a Yamaha for a while, the learning curve will be small if you get another one. Other then that, I'm sure all of the brands your considering are pretty close. See if there is a specific feature you need that one model has and another may not. Also see what's on sale. I was not really considering Pioneer, but the fact that the store had a recently discontinued model, open box marked down from $999 to $399 made it too hard to pass up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks