Receiver advise?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Smittkamp, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Adam Smittkamp

Adam Smittkamp Auditioning

I am currently in the market for a lower priced receiver, to run TV sound, and mainly DVD's. What does everyone seem to think of the Onkyo TSXR500 or the TSXR600. I recently purchased DVCP-500 DVD changer, and would like everything to match.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Why try to make everythign match? sure its nice whenall your components are the same brand then the outter appearance should be more constant, but really how useful is that? go for performance over appearance.

3. Adam Smittkamp

Adam Smittkamp Auditioning

That's kind of the reason for my post. I'm trying to find out what is thought of these units, and their performance.

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

The Onkyo 500 receiver has a reported problem with the .1 LFE output. I'd suggest a Panasonic SAHE100 or Pioneer 811 over it.

The Onkyo 600, however, is supposed to be an excellent machine. It's not really necessary to have all the components from the same brand, though. There's so many great options out there, don't limit yourself.

5. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Of the two you mentioned I would go with the sr600 because of all the issues I've read about on here with the sr500. Better to be safe IMO. I had an Onkyo 575 for 3 1/2 years and it was reliable and sounded very good. I would still have it if it was a 6.1 receiver.[​IMG]