Receiver advise needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Pete Whitley, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Pete Whitley

Pete Whitley Auditioning

Hi,

I'm looking for a home theater receiver in the $300 to $400 price range. The catcher is that the speakers that I'll be using(Magnepan MMG, Green Mountain Europa, Bohlender-Graebener 520DX) are all 4 ohm and require a good bit of power to come alive. I'm new to home theater but have been into audio for quite a while so I want a receiver that has good stereo sound. I know it might be tough in my price bracket. A lot features would be nice but they aren't a priority, sound it though. I've read positive things about the Denon AVR-1803/1804. I'm not sure it will accept a 4 ohm load. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!(

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well Harman/Kardon recievers should work well with 4Ohms, Harman even says they will.

I would recommend the AVR-225 for your price range, it offers a good amount of power (55W per channel) and is true to that rating.

It lacks some of the more advanced features some recievers offer but since the HK product line is coming out with a new set of recievers you should be able to work a good deal on the 225, maybe get it for like $350 new or something.... great price for that reciever... and let me tell you it can definantly give out some serious power.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Its going to be difficult to find a reciever in this price range with a decent PSU, or that it can stand 4ohm load. I think you should look used H/K and NAD recievers or even refurb.

4. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

yeah an NAD T742 should be able to do it.

I wouldn't try to drive 4 ohm loads with the Denon.