Receiver advice...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott_AH, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

I have a buddy who's looking to buy a new receiver and wants some feedback. He's a beginner in the HT world and seems to be set on the Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver. I've never touched a Panasonic receiver in my life and know nothing about them. Can anyone provide me with some insight on this brand? What is good and what is bad about a Panasonic? This one seems to fall right into his price range and he has pre-wired his room for a 6.1 setup. Thanks...

Scott

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Scott

Although Panasonic has a good reputation with longevity and very nice dvd players. IMHO there strongpoint is not recievers but TV's and DVD players. Not to say that you can not get a decent Panasonic reciever. What is your friends budget and what does he what to connect to it? There may be better options depending on his budget? Also depends on the speakers he is going to use with a Panasonic reciever. This is accually the case with any HT system. Speakers are 50% - 60% of how good the system will sound. You can spend 30K for a Krell pre/pro and $$$ on a Krell amplifier but if you have really bad speakers. The Krell will not sound any better than a Soundesign all in one system.

3. Scott_AH

He's a little unsure of what to spend but it seems that he's thinking $500 for the receiver and $400-$600 for the speaker system--nothing too crazy. He's not going to be very picky. Mainly, he wants something that will last him a few years and will make his DVDs and DirecTV sound the best they can.

Scott

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have the SAHE100 and am very pleased with it. It offers DTS-ES & Unofficial DD-EX (the 200 offers official EX, I believe). The 200 offers more power and, reportedly, better build quality. Really, the only faults that I notice with the reciever is that it runs pretty warm and the remote is on the terrible side.

5. Scott_AH

A bad remote may not be a good idea for a person with no HT experience. Are all Panasonics known for difficult-to-use remotes???

Scott

6. Scott_AH

Bump please--someone's gotta know the answer to this question...

Scott

7. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

I had a Technics receiver for about 4 years and it was great. The sound was great and for the price range I was looking in then, it did it's job well. The receiver got pretty damn hot though. I could have fried eggs on it at times. But yes, the remote that I had was absolutely terrible. Good luck using it in the dark. I bought an RCA all-in-one remote to take the place of the piece that came with it. I don't think my dog liked it either, because he chewed it up.

8. DanielM

DanielM Stunt Coordinator

I have an sa-he200 "IMHO" it is the best bang for the buck out there although it COULD be considered disposable due to its lack of preouts but at its price point >$400 I would not think that thats a big deal..and yes the remote SUCKS

9. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

I wouldn't say Panasonic's remotes are difficult to use, but they do suck!!. The buttons are small as is the writing but all the necessary buttons are there. I usually only use the remotes on setup, after that I use the television's "universal" remote for volume, RR, FF, etc. I really enjoy the SAHE100 receiver and I can say the 200 with the extra power is likely just as good if not better.

Cheers,

Sean

10. Greg Mc

Greg Mc Auditioning

I just finished the process of hooking up my "Budget" Home Theater. I also looked at the Pioneer 811s, Sony strde 985.

Receiver:
    Panasonic He-200k(Cost $349+ tax At this price was a no brainer.)

Speakers:
    Klipsch Kg4(f)
    Axiom(Vp50(c)
    Axiom(Qs2)(S)
    Room(13 x 16)

Cons:

The Panasonic manual is poorly written, and difficult to initially setup. Remote has a way too many small buttons ,but after a while it's acceptable.

No treble or bass adjustments in Surround modes. Not a "Con" for me, this amp doesen't require adjustment in Surround

Pro's:

This is no "Budget" receiver.

Price is fantastic for all that is packed into this receiver.

Sound in 2 channel is B+, for movies A+.
    The list goes on and on.

My advice is go down to nearest Audioshop and listen to the Panasonic. You'll be glad you made the trip.