Receiver Advice. Should I upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark--M, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

I have a Nakamichi AV-8 reciever with JBL Northridge speakers. I'm pleased with the sound. Two channel sounds great, the fronts are the dual 10" model and they really sound nice on the Nakamichi. They seem to be a great match in my opinion anyway. Movies sound good too, but I cant really say too much good or bad. Surround sound is kind of new to me, this is my first 5.1 reciever so cant really compare it to much else.

Anyway, there are a few things I dont really like about the Nakamichi. I really dont like the remote, just really an old ugly design. It occaisonally stops working too and needs a tap. An even bigger problem with the remote is the volume adjustment when using the tuner. Its impossible to set low level volume. It can be just a little too loud and 1 click of the remote will turn it down way to low. The increments are way to big. Couple other minor things I'd like to see different too.

I was thinking of changing to a Harman Kardon AVR 630. Will this be compareable in power to the AV 8 I have now? The specs are close to the same but I'm guessing both will outperform their specs. I also really like the sound of the Nakamichi, is the H/K going to be a step backwards?

I guess the rest of the features the H/K will blow it away but I'm really concerned about sound quality and power. Should I keep what I have or buy the H/K?

2. John S

John S Producer

Sure.... I don't see any other way to get around the things that annoy you about the Nakamishi.

Now will you like the sound as much as what your using? Very subjective, go with a retailer that has liberal return policy in case you really don't like the H/K for one reason or another.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How about a universal remote? I hate the touchscreen remote that came with my Marantz. The only thing I've used it for since I bought the receiver was to program my other remote [​IMG]

If music is what you're after, give Marantz a listen too.

4. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guys. Both music and surround are important to me. I've always been a big fan of marantz but a new marantz receiver is almost certainly out of my budget. [​IMG]

So can anybody give me an idea on how the HK compares the the AV 8 in terms of power? Any other advice?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What's the budget?

AC4L has the Marantz 7400 on sale this month for a great price brand new (with a checout code).

I also know about some great NAD deals right now too.

6. Keith E

Keith E Stunt Coordinator

I would definitely recommend going with NAD. I upgraded from my Marantz to a NAD receiver and can not believe the difference in sound quality.