What's new

Receiver advice...replacing Kenwood VR-309 (1 Viewer)

Rich Gonzalez

Auditioning
I've looking to replace my Kenwood VR-309 receiver. I was thinking of getting the Sony DE895 until I saw some threads here saying it wasn't such a great receiver. Here's my setup...

side channel speakers: 2 Polk R30s
DVD player: Sony DVP-CX860
receiver: Kenwood VR-309
Satellite receiver: DirecTivo
TV: Sony KV-32HS510 TV

My surround and center speakers are Infinity.

I'd like to get a receiver with component inputs/outputs, since both my DVD player and TV have component capability. Only issue with that is the Tivo, which only has s-video and composite outputs. Is there a receiver that'd allow me to connect the TV/receiver through component video, yet still be able to view the Tivo input, which would be connected to the receiver via s-video?

I'm looking in the ~$300 price range. Any help is MUCH appreciated.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
i had the vr309 and replaced it with a Denon 1803 and haven't looked back. Alot fewer problems, better build quility, and better sound. The new version is the 1804, and should be roughly in your price range.

I don't use it as a video switcher (yet) since my tv can only handle ***GASP*** the f-type coax connector. But if i remember correctly, it has both compinent and s-video outs. only drawback that i know of is that it doesn't have the bandwidth to switch HDTV. but the newer 1804 MIGHT. check denon's site to be sure..

The denon technically has lower power, but i think it feel "cleaner" and a little richer. Search around on here, as there are quite a few other Denon fans. Yamaha also make some which have a large following as well.

good luck!

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Rich.

IMHO Yamaha offers the best bang for the buck in most of the price points they are in. It's difficult to match Yamaha's combination of features, quality, and price.

You should be able to find an RX-V540 (or the HTR5650 which is the same unit) for $300.

For more ideas you should check out the A/V receivers buyer's guide at http://www.valuecanuck.com

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Marc H

Second Unit
I would concur with Jeff on the Yamaha.
They tend to be very reliable and grief free as well as sounding quite decent.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Rich:

Another thing to consider is that the RX-V450, 550, 650, and 750 will be in US stores soon (if not already) to replace the RV-V440, 540, 640, and 740.

You should probably shoot for one of the new ones or try to get a smokin' deal on a closeout of the old line. Might be able to step up to the 640 and stay close to your price range - not sure.

Jeff

P.S. - Marc, do you have any word from Yamaha Canada on when the RX-Vx50 line will be available up here in the Great White North and what the pricing will be?

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I'd look into the Pionner 8xx and 9xx lines. I got my 912K for $300. This year's models, the x14 line, are replacing the x12 line. The 814K can also be had for $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks