What's new

Receiver advice needed (1 Viewer)

sigx35

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
I have a 50" plasma Samsung (don't know model # as I'm at work) with 1 hdmi input. It's an older model.

I'm trying to hook up surround sound and have narrowed the list to these components:

Receiver - Yamaha HTR-6130BL or Yamaha RX-V363BL
Speakers - Polk Audio RM6750

I also have a HD cable box and HD dvd player I wanted to run through the receiver using HDMI cables. Is there a way I can do this with only 1 hdmi output from the receiver to tv? Or would I need to run other wires as well?

I ask because I've been hearing disturbing info about pass-through and switching, and I'm really not familiar with either. I believe the receiver listed above uses pass-through.

If this isn't feasible, what type of receiver will I need to accomplish my goal, i.e, only 1 hdmi cable from receiver to tv? Price is somewhat of a concern for me and I need to know where I stand. Thanks."

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It looks to me like both receivers are virtually identical. Yamaha markets the HTR series thru big box stores and the RX-V series thru higher end stores. Both have two hdmi inputs and one output so they will both do what you're looking for. Hook your cable box to one hdmi input and your dvd player to the other hdmi input and the receivers hdmi output to the tv's hdmi input, run your subwoofer cable and speaker wires, assign the video inputs (read the manual!) and plug it in. The receiver will now act as a switcher.

Neither receiver will allow you to take advantage of the new DD-TrueHD or DTS-Master Audio (via hdmi) of the HD dvd player, however. For that, you need to move up to the 663.

sigx35

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks Gene. I guess my question really is what pass-through will do to my setup, i.e., can I wire it like this.

HD Cable Box -- hdmi cable -- receiver
HD Dvd Player -- hdmi cable -- receiver
Speakers/Sub -- 14 gauge -- receiver
Receiver -- hdmi cable -- Plasma

I thought I read somewhere that while video from my Cable and Dvd would "passthrough" the receiver to my TV, the sound from those two components wouldn't go from the receiver to my speakers -- I would need to hook up coaxial wires from the components to the receiver? Which is it? Thanks in advance. I'm new to the forum and would really like to become more knowledgable in this area.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That depends on what your source components can actually do. Some may indeed only be able to pass audio via the old coax/optical connection, which would limit the audio to either lossy compressed surround (eg. DD 5.1, DTS 5.1) or 2-channel PCM.

_Man_

Brent_S

Second Unit
Yes, in addition to HDMI for video, you'll need to connect coax/optical digital or analog RCA to get audio from your cable box and HD-DVD player. If you want that audio to come from the TV for some reason, then you'll also need an audio out from the 363 to the TV.

The 363 cannot process any audio via HDMI, only video passes through. This is part what Gene was referring to about moving up to the 663. The 463 can process audio via HDMI, but doesn't decode TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreams.

-Brent

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A quick peek at the 363 manual (pg 14) seems to suggest that the audio will be passed thru hdmi to the monitor but not the speaker outputs.Perhaps I am mis-understanding what was written. But I failed to mention the need for a digital audio connection for surround sound. Thanks for catching my little boo-boo!

sigx35

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Thanks guys. I ordered these components + coax cables for the audio hookup. After my order arrives, I will hook it up and let the board know how it goes. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks