What's new

Receiver Advice 5.1 vrs 7.1 (1 Viewer)

barrowsr

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Barrows
HI,

I'm new to Home Theater and am shopping for a receiver to go with the speakers I've installed in the room. I was allowed to place a pair of 6 inch ceiling speakers just behind our seating position and a pair of 6.5 inch wall speakers in front on either side of the TV. The TV cabinet will contain a center speaker and I think I can talk her into putting a powered Sub-woofer between our chairs (the wiring is there). Since I'm locked into the number of speakers mentioned - is a 7.1 reciever a waste of money? All the speakers are Polk Audio RCi series in case it matters.

Thanks,

Robin

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the wonderful world of HT. Sounds Like you are "LOCKED IN" to how many speakers you have in your room. One question I have is if you have a sub? as good as wall speakers are a well placed sub will make a dramatic difference in the way the system sounds. Ok back to the question at hand. My sugg. ( budget in mind as well) get a 7.1 and use the speakers that you have. If and when you get more speakers you already have the receiver.

goood luck

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
7.1 was a waste of money for the last couple of years as nothing was written in this format. The direction of Blu-Ray is now a true 7.1 and they are already being made, so would go for 7.1. If you stick with 5.1, no big deal, but I would get a receiver that can do 7.1 and buy those speakers when you go Blu-Ray.

barrowsr

Auditioning
Real Name
Robin Barrows
Well.

I posted the 5.1 versus 7.1 question a month ago and didn't get an answer until this week - which I appreciate anyway. I bought a Yamaha HTR 6030 (5.1) receiver last week and my sub-woofer is en route. I do plan on adding a Blue Ray player soon - am I going to be handicapped by not linking it to a 7.1 receiver? My living room is pretty small and I honestly don't know where I would put another pair of speakers even if it were wired in the ceiling.

Thanks for the advice.

Robin

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Robin,

Most Blu-Ray movies are 5.1 surround recorded anyways and if space is limited 7.1 is a waste of money. Blu-ray is not making that many titles in true 7.1 discrete sound, but in the future I'm sure they will start to.

This receiver will get you by for a while, but depending on how much you like your sound, you can upgrade to a receiver that has the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoders to listen to uncompressed sound. Mind you your receiver has analogue inputs in the back so if you buy a Blu-Ray player with internal decoders for those uncompressed codecs and have the analogue outputs then you can just use those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks