Receiver 300 - 500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobSB, Dec 6, 2002.

1. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Hey guys. I just recently bought a 50" Widescreen Toshiba 50HDX82 RPTV, and now I'm looking into audio options, and I need some help. I decided to start my search in receivers. My room is 25' x 15', and the system will be used for TV (satellite and antenna) and DVD and VHS movies. My price range is $300-500, and I want the best bang for my buck.
    I looked around in various places, and the Pioneer 811S seems to be getting some pretty good reviews. I'm not tied to this receiver, it just look good. But people are also talking about its high THD - what does this mean and does it matter? And if you don't like that receiver, what are some other recommendations in my price range? I'm trying to make a short list, so don't ramble off a bunch of products, try and pick the best one. I'm around a lot and I respond quickly to questions, so feel free to ask and clarify anything. [​IMG]
    Note: Cross-posted in HomeTheaterSpot and HomeTheaterForum.

2. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Cmon guys, I need a little help please. I've also found good stuff on the Denon 1803. Is that one good, and how does it compare to the 811?

3. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Rob:

I think the 1803 is a phenomenal receiver for its street price, and would gladly spend the additional money to buy it over the 811. The 811 is a decent bang-for-your-buck receiver, but the 1803 has a sonic heft to it that I don't hear in the 811. In the 300-500 price range, I'd be looking at Denon, Onkyo and H/K.

--AM

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

I would say the 811 is well liked by many here, but I think for that money you can go with an HK, Denon, I don't know if Marantz sells anything good in this price range, but if they do- Marantz, also. I've been very impressed with how well the lower end HK receivers perform compared to some other companies where you have to move up to there much more expensive models for an improved sound quality. Check out JandR.com for HK prices. Try to buy your unit from an authorized dealer. Also check out the receiver comparison chart on this forum if you haven't already for ideas on what you might need in your receiver.

5. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

Unless I read your post wrong, this receiver is not being used for any kind of stereo music. If that's the case, the 811 is definitely your best choice. Yeah, a H/K or a Marantz might sound better musically, but if you aren't going to use that feature, why pay the extra bucks?

Besides, with the money you saved buying the 811 for anything more expensive, you could always add a nice used 2 channel amp that would blow away any H/K, Denon, etc. in this price range and above.

6. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

Marantz is the best for the 300-500 range although the denon is also a good receiver. Try the marantz sr4200 or 5200 if you wnat 6 point surround. Check out revews on audioreview.com They can be purchased from hifi.com for a great price sine the 4300/5300 are soming out soon