Received my "Brazil: Criterion Collection" Disc...I know this isn't news, but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nicholas Vargo, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    After over three weeks of waiting, my mother cancelled her order from DVDEmpire.com and as a late birthday present, she bought it from Best Buy last week and after a whole week of exploring the Criterion DVD edtion of "Brazil" over and over, I have come to the conclusion that that is the best DVD ever released. There is so much good stuff on this that I ended up watching more than any other DVD that I have ever owned. Forget "Fight Club" being the best. This is the best DVD set ever released!!!

BTW, I have no doubt that "Fight Club" is a good 2-disc set, but since I don't own it yet, and I still have a chance if I actually have some money, I'll judge then, but this is the best DVD set I own, even surpassing "The Ultimate Toy Box" by a couple of inches.

2. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

Criterion's BRAZIL is a good one, no doubt about it. From the sound of things though it may just have been pipped at the post by New Line's extended FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING box, which seems to push the boundaries of the medium in a whole range of areas.

Criterion's LIFE OF BRIAN, Columbia's HOLY GRAIL, Universal's 12 MONKEYS S.E and (probably) Criterion's future FEAR AND LOATHING S.E will all make good companion discs to your BRAZIL set. Gilliam is all over them, on the commentary tracks and on various docos. The 12 MONKEYS disc in particular is something special as the accompanyng 'Hamster Factor' doco paints a shaded portrait of Gilliam and his work as rivetting and informative as any you'll find anywhere.

3. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    I know the picture quality is generally regarded as very good but is there a chance that Criterion will ever re-release this 16x9 enhanced?

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

5. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

I remember getting this DVD for $15.99 at Coconuts....A misprice in my favor[​IMG]

6. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Nicolas, Fight Club is out of print. I suggest you hurry pick it up (like I had to do!)

Regards,

7. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Christ Reynolds, I wouldn't be so sure....I send Criterion an e-mail a couple of months back asking specifically about this title, Yojimbo, and others that are not available 16x9 enhanced. The response was that right now Criterion was heavily considering going back and releasing 16x9 enhanced versions of their older dvds.....he said that since Insomnia they have strived to release 16x9 enhanced dvd's whenever possible and that they hope to revisit the older ones....

8. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

i really cant see what the fuss over Fight Club is about. The extras are average.

i cant believe that Brazil has not been released in the UK yet, hopefully they will soon with a anamorphic print plus Criterions extras.

9. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

I just picked up the Criterion Brazil set for $8 from ebgames.com used DVDs. I didn't expect it to be the Criterion version.

Nice set. I would like an anamorphic print tho.

10. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Well the Brazil Criterion set was the 10th best DVD release, based on the results of our poll last December. I personally am not a huge fan of the movie, so I passed, but this certainly seems like a nice set.

11. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

Hmm... so do you think Criterion will replace our copies that are non-16x9? If not, they'll have a lot of pissed off customers who shelled out $40 (in the case of Brazil - less for the other titles).

12. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I can't imagine it being worth it to Criterion to do a FREE exchange at this point.

However, perhaps Criterion could meet us halfway. Just mail us the disc only (like Netflix does) for cost. Hopefully with minimum advertising and packaging this cost could stay as low as $5 perhaps since it would be only the disc and a paper sleeve.

13. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yup, have to agree I found the extras on Fight Club mediocre at best

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am about to receive this title through the mail.
    My question is this ?
    Which version should I see first ? or should I watch the documentary first ?
    Cheers
    Oscar
    [​IMG]

16. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Oscar - watch Terry Gilliam's director's cut (on Disc One) first, then watch it a second time, then a third with the commentary. Brazil is a very demanding film, but pays off in spades and is a truly transcendant piece of cinema.

Fight Club must be the single most bafflingly overrated DVD in the history of the format. The amount of truly useful and informative material on Disc Two could barely fill a shotglass. It's pure excess and the veritable definition of "quantity over quality".

Now, discs like Brazil: Criterion or the 4-disc Lord of the Rings I can get into, as it all adds up and gives you new appreciation and insight into various aspects of the film and its background.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Jon

why watch the movie twice before I even attemp the commentary on the third viewing. I take it that I should not even watch the butchered version then,

Cheers

18. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

No, watch absolutely everything on the set (everything included is fabulous), but you'll need to watch the film twice just to get your head round most of it! The commentary then fills in any minor gaps and questions you may have.

The alternate 94-minute version is both fascinating and appalling. The commentary by David Morgan is a must, however.

19. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray

20. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think the part that makes the Fight Club release so well regarded were the excellent commentaries. The second disc was interesting primarily because of the exceptional amount of promotional material, which I found to be quite good (such as the PSA's).

Given the film wasn't a box office smash, I thought it went very well with the similarly good Seven release.

Now if only they would give The Game and Panic Room the proper attention on DVD, I would be happy. I've long since given up hope of seeing Fincher's involvement with Alien3.

I must agree that Brazil is one of the greatest special editions ever. If the FOTR gift release weren't available, it might just be top in my book.