Received 57HDX82.....help me sleep!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Barnesky, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Brian Barnesky

First I'd like to thank all that help me out ahead of time! I haven't posted here much but feel like I know many of you from the last couple of years of posts! I learned a substantial amount.

After researching for almost a year at the Spot, HTF, AVS and much in store time with units I decided the 57hdx was right (esp stretch modes) time to finally get the display I've wanted for oh so long. I have been watching a 32" tosh for 7 years and have used Avia on it several times and have been dreaming of owning one since the h80 series.

This is my FIRST RPTV and I was very nervous as much as excited to finally pull the plug. I have read many, many stories, problems and advice so I thought I was prepared. I bought local here in Seattle for a terrific price. The unit was delivered with no cosmetic defects and wasn't DOA...YES!

I immediately extinguished the torch and disabled all the pic features. I read the .pdf file of the manual ahead of time and breezed through it all. I am sitting 11.5' away. I took delivery yesterday (10/22) and think I understand that rptv's generally start off a bit rough and I fully plan on an ISF when the time is right.

Here we go.......(I'll try to explain as best as I can....bear with me)

1. It was very Obvious I have the hiss....I was prepared for it and it's here in FULL effect! I know this is an easy fix and am not worried after hearing they're onto it. I however cannot MUTE the unit without the subtitles coming up? I've made sure cc was disabled and tried to push mute twice like the book says but it just doesn't work w/o cc...?

2. The remote makes a buzzing noise when the light is on?....Anyone else?

3. Let it warm up for an hour or so (brutal pic on analog) did touch focus then calibrated with AVIA

Contrast.....47
    Bright.....54
    Color....48
    Tint...-7
    Sharp....19

....AT&T Digital cable looks HORRID! I was prepared for analog but not digital channels too? I tried going composite over coax with a small improvement. Generally VERY nasty picture.....whites have pink...flesh is reddish/orange (push?) very staticy picture. Trees looked like blobs in the distance. Couldn't even read numbers on football players jerseys?

I said enough of this and put in Episode 1 to see how the "REAL" picture looked? I had s-video hooked up and thought the pic was really bad. Not crisp and focused at all! Staticy kinda fuzzy interference even? Bland colors and not dvd looking at all? I used component later and still just not that clear at all? Yes I did avia on colorstream1. It took monsters to even get me saying that's kinda nice even once? This just doesn't sound right too me.

4. I did a 9 point convergence and the pluses were all bloomed and at the top corners...very bloomy. Like lining up blob pluses. Crisper at the bottom. Still no better of pic after that. I'm feeling like.....great by now?

5. I noticed on the pioneer dvd's all blue menu screen a particle on the screen (lens?) as well as a (dead pixel?) looking thing on cable. The right side of the screen during white/pinkinsh shots is kinda brownish and reddish at other times.

Sorry this was sooooo long but I don't have any friends into rptv's out here and I don't know how to tackle this. Does this all sound normal? Should I get the tech to fix the hiss and then show him all this? Should I just exchange it and hope the next is better? Is this unit just way outta wack? Should I just sit on my hands for a few days? I was prepared for a blown up bad cable pic but dvd too worries me. Note: The THX intro to sw1 looked sweet and clean...?

To all of you with awesome HDX's....Congrats! The size and shape gives me the chills...it's perfect for my distance and home. I can't wait for the WOW to happen!

You all are great......THANKS!!!!!
    Brian

Toshiba 57hdx82
    Pioneer DV-333
    Sony v444-es

2. Mike Kwiecinski

Mike Kwiecinski Auditioning

Sorry to hear your tv isnt what you extected, i to have the hiss, (will get it fixed theis coming week).My remote also hisses when the back light feature is on. I do occaionly get the subtitles come up while watching a dvd, thought it was my dvd player (hitachi 725) maybe its my tv as well.... but i dont get subtitles when the mute is on.
    From day 1 i had incredible picture, now i agree cable sucks, so we just watch bell express and direct, i am very pleased with the picture from both. Dvd's are amazing we watched monsters inc and were blown away by the picture, we have about 200 hrs and the picture keeps improving....
    I would suggest getting a tech in to look at it...sounds like somthing inot right with your rptv.... when its sorted out the wow will happen
    later
    Mike

3. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered this tv yesterday and should take delivery of it around the middle of next week. Thanks for the setup info, (contrast settings etc)
    Has anyone used this on DSS? Would it be any better than your At&T digital cable or the same?

4. Brian Barnesky

Thanks guys........

IFom what I read.......DSS should be the way to go Kyle. Generally it seems they have a better pic....though sometimes more artifacting. Plus is that the only way you can revieve HDTV in your area? I highly suggest buying a calibration disc such as AVIA. Every sets setting end up being different.

There is definatly something wrong with my set. I don't feel that I should be buying something new and have to go through service right off the bat. I found two marks that appear to be on the back of the screen last night as well. One appears it could be dust but the other is a small (looks like a pixel or something) area that does not receive info.

I'll let you know what happens with the exchange.

5. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

Again, thanks for the info about dss. They have just announce HDTV here in South Dakota to be up within a couple months (they are adding to the towers as we speak) so I hope to get a set top box soon for local channels. I could get another dish for direct tv to recieve a HDTV signal once a got the set top box but that may be a while as I will be recovering from the tv purchase for a while. Sorry to hear about your problems with your tv, I hope I don't have the same problems.

6. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Brian,

The captions coming up when the set is muted is a feature. They do go away as soon as the set is unmuted, right? I don't know any way to turn it off.

RPTVs tend to have some color shifting across the screen due to the red lens being closer to one side and the blue lens being closer to the other side. It's most noticeable on black and white material. The situation can be corrected by "color striping," but you'll want to check out the Keohi site for more info.

When you adjusted the color, did you start out in the "Movie" mode? This mode disables the SVM, which you want to do. When you adjust the settings and the set switches to "Preference" mode, SVM will remain off.

You don't have any "dead pixels" with a CRT RPTV, but there could be a particle of something on one of the screens or even sandwiched between them. Removing the speck is a job for the service tech.

Good luck!

Jan

7. Brian Barnesky

Just got off the phone with my local store. The manager of Video Only in Lynwood, WA here was really nice and after asking me some basic questions said it would be no problem to bring another one out tomorrow!!!!
    The only bad part is that for some reason I have to drive 20 minutes to the store just to sign something and give them my original receipt. I tried everything (fax...etc) and don't get it but...oh well small price to pay to get a replacement especially since he squeezed me in for tomorrow. Traffic in Seattle is BRUTAL though.....
    Dave....don't make a decision based on ANY posts! I seem to have just received an out of wack unit. If you buy local (assume you have option there) you always can return if your unhappy.
    Jan..I agree with you on the mute issue, the particles on the lens/between the screens and the lens striping solution. I was prepared for those as well as the hiss. I have read the Keohi site many times to see what I was getting into and learned a bunch over there. My RPTV newbie-isms like "Dead Pixel" are just an attempt to explain what it looked like. When I got up close to look I could see small squares and one wasn't working/blocked. Those are all non factors in my exchange....the PQ is just really bad, way out of adjustment and I don't feel like I should start with something "NEW" that has issues. I did start in Movie mode and have checked and checked to make sure I have all PQ effects off. (Thanks to other posts from people like yourself [​IMG]!) I'm not being picky...the PQ looks really bad!
    I'll let you know how my new toy is tomorrow!!!!!
    Toshiba 57hdx82
    Sony str-v444es
    Pioneer DV-333

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Brian, why are you looking at DVDs through an S-video connection? Also, don't expect much from cable (and so-called "digital" cable can look really bad). Your RPTV is simply magnifying flaws that are harder to see on a 36-inch direct-view set. And Jan is correct: no dead pixels on a CRT-based unit. Only let a professional take apart the screens.

9. Brian Barnesky

Thanks for the input Jack!

I was using an S-video connection on my old set-up since my tv didn't have component. I went and bought a pair of RS Gold Component cables to double check that wasn't the issue as I said in my first post. Looked a bit better yet still grainy, washed out, out of focus and not dvd looking at all.

I knew right when I wrote "Dead pixel" I'd be jumped on. I understand there aren't pixels!!!!! I don't know the correct term and am sorry. :b I was simply trying to explain what I was looking at when I looked at the screen closely since the missing info was a perfect small square among many others working ones and made me question weather that could be dust on not with how perfect it was. Does anybody understand so I can at least know for the future? I'll try getting a macro shot with my camera to post later tonight. I LOVE learning about anything HT related and again apologize for my uneducated RPTV knowledge amongst many VERY professional posters.

Toy Story 2 doesn't even look that good! I've been watching that for a year and am familiar with what it should look like. I would assume better on the hdx than my old 32"?.....especially since it's 540p after the conversion?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
    B