What's new

Receding Hair Line.. (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Being happy with what you are and how you look instead of how you match temporary styles?

Men start getting "their" hairline (which is in the genes - look to your dad, or your grandfather from either side) about 6 to 7 years after puberty. That's because hairgrowth is governed by the male hormones and hairs live for an average of 7 years, so your "baby-hairline" will generally last until you're at least 23. Then it slowly changes (this goes for changing colours too - especially those relatively rare early-grey-ers). Not much you can do about it except, basically, accept it.

And why not? If you have rather outspoken eyes, you may even look more beautiful when slightly bald (see the above mentioned style).
BTW, if we all go changing our looks towards a general "standard", more and more people will become "deviant" and will need to use drastic methods (wigs, operations, hormones, prostheses, tricks) to look more "standard". And were would it end? Everyone looking exactly the same?

Cees

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I was always under the impression that baldness is a trait that is passed on by the mother. Have I been wrong all these years?

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Wow, if it WAS my dad's side, I'd be in trouble
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
. Both my dad and my grandfather are the "volcano island" effect......bald on top with a ridge surrounding the edges. Fortunately, your hairline IS inherited from your mom's side:D. I'm proof of that......nothing lost here...my father at the same age was halfway gone:frowning:.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Simply put: yes.

Both my brothers are balding, like our grandfather from father's side did (and also the same way he did: the tonsura Pauli).
To their envy, I'm the oldest but still have "heavy" hair, like our mom's father.

Cees

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that statement is only proof that YOUR hairline is inherited from YOUR mother's side.

I am proof that hairline is inherited from my dad's father.

And the medical evidence is that it can [and does] come from either side. :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Clees but from everything I have read in the last few days baldness is indeed a trait that is passed on from your mother.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
The topical "solution" is Minoxodil, known by the brand-name "Rogain", but also sold under generic labels for much cheaper. Rogain generally requires application twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. One applies the liquid in 1MG doses to the affected areas with an applicator (eye-dropper, spray, etc.) and then rubs it into the scalp.

The "oral" solution is to go with Finasteride, a medication one consumes to deminish the body's production of DHT (Dyhydrotestosterone), the hormone that is widely accepted as primarily responsible for baldness in men. About 30 years ago (?) Finasteride was originally used as a medication primarily to control prostrate growth, but was also shown to slow/stop/regrow hair. Finasteride requires a prescription from your doctor, and can be found by the brand names "Proscar" & "Propecia". Proscar is the original 4MG dose given to prostate patients, while Propecia is the 1MG "hair solution". Many people purchase Proscar, and cut the pills into quarters, as Proscar is much cheaper than Propecia. As an added bonus, Finasteride, when taken to control hairloss, also acts to prevent prostate problems.

Your best bet is to go for both a topical & oral approach. Attack the loss from all fronts. This approach has worked for many people who have sought to combat hairloss.

Neither solution claims to provide hair-growth to the hairline, and instead claim to grow hair at the crown areas of the scalp. Many however claim to have experienced hairgrowth in the temporal/hairline regions as well.

Beware of the conventional "snake-oil" shills out there who are pushing their own products that do nothing but drain $$$ out of your wallet. While some shampoo's might cleanse the scalp of residue & buildup, and control inflamation (which might lead to hairloss), none have actually been medically proven to regrow hair.

Of course, the cheapest solution is to do nothing, and let nature take it's course. If you're comfortable with that, then all the power to you.

:)

Moe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks