What's new

Reccomendations on which AMP should I get? (1 Viewer)

RossinFL

Auditioning
Hi, this is my first post on the forum. Thanks for having me!

Recently, I've gotten the urge to upgrade my audio system. I use it about 50/50 audio/video. It's currently composed of a Yamaha RXV-592 receiver, NHT 2.5i fronts, NHT SuperZERO XU center, JBL 12" PB12 sub, and a pair of NHT SuperZERO's for the rears. At some point in the future I plan on upgrading the center and rears. Most immediatley I'm going to purchase an Amplifier. The Yamaha I've got only outputs something like 75 watts to the front, 75 to the center, and 35 to the rears. I plan on using my current receiver as a pre-amp for a little while.

So any ideas on what 5 channel AMP would be a good match for NHT speakers and priced at about $500 to $800 used?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
There are several good prospects here
http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?ampsmult&1&ctg&st1

The B&K 4430 (200wpc x 3) looks very good. You could use this on the front 3 and just use the 592 for the rears.

The BARGAIN amp is the PA5800 for less than $400. While it is only a 5 x 90wpc amp, it would be very noticable improvement. I would actually biamp the 2.5i's with this amp (I had the same amp and biamped NHT VT1.2 with very good results) and use the 5th channel for the center. Since audio is important, I think either of these choice would work great for the 2.5i's. I don't think the 4430 is worth more than double the price of the PA5800.

The B&K AV5000 listed for $450 is also very good with NHT's. I have also used B&K (still use a ST1400 for my rear NHT VT1.2 speakers). It has a little more power than the PA5800 but I would still biamp the 2.5i's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks