Reccomendations for Video Editing software for Windows?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'm sick and tired of MGI's buggy VideoWave, so I'm desparate enough to break down and buy different software for video editing.

I'm looking for video editing software that works with Windows. Not really professional stuff, but off the shelf stuff. (I can't afford $2000 Adobe Premire software, so I'm looking more for simple editing programs. It needs to be able to output to a VCR and also capture video from RCA composite and S-video.

I'd look on Cnet and other sites, but I'd like to see what is reccomended around here. VideoWave was reccomended to me by a website and you can see how THAT has helped me!

Any reccomendations will be appreciated.

2. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
    I stand by MGI's videowave, maybe it's your OS? I am running Windows 2000 and use videowave religiously and have no problems.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Premiere isn't $2000, even After Effects Production Bundle isn't that much! You should be able to nail it for $299-$399 easy, or just buy a nice firewire card and it comes bundled, sometimes for less than the SRP on Premiere [​IMG]
    VideoWave is VERY crappy, I totally agree

4. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Try Pinnacle's Studio 7. You can get a free demo download off their website and I like the program a lot. It was also picked as Editor's choice in PC World DV editing shoot out last month. Read this article at their website.
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...54,pg,6,00.asp
    Good luck.
    Jeff

5. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Hanging out at the DV.com forums, I hear of many people who swear by Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3.0. I've never tried it myself, but they say it's easier to learn than Premiere and incorporates most of the features.
    Check out the demo at http://www.sonicfoundry.com
    Cheers,

6. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

Sorry, off topic.

Is Patrick's letterbox sig HUGE on anyone elses screen? (IE5's been playing up on me so I was just wondering.)

7. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

My friend edits with Premere 6 and we just shot and edited a music video for a local band that just made it to Launch.com (the video) . He got it with a Pinnacle card for around $300. Just make sure you have a lot of hard drive space since 1 hour of full quality video is about 12 gigs.