What's new

Reccomend an affordable digital TV for me (1 Viewer)

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Right now I have a 32 inch Sharp TV. The sound is horrible, and when I watch widescreen movies I don't get the entire picture.

I'm looking for a digital tv for a good price. I don't wannt pay more than $1000.

My ideal TV would be widescreen, but since I am looking for a cheap tv, I don't think its practical to think I'll be able to find one.

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
one more thing:

At bestbuy.com they have a list of digital tvs, most of which are 50 some inches and way over $1000.

Then they have a section for all non digital tvs, but most of these say they have a "3 line digital comb filter" or just a "line digital comb filter". Whats the difference between this and a "digital tv"?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Why don't you get the whole picture on your 32" set? Do you mean you want something that's progressive scan?

I would personally save up for something larger... but, I believe there is a 30" Samsung that can be had for around $1k. There are also lots of good interest free financing deals on expensive purchases like these. Though be sure you can pay them off on time and aren't ever let if you choose this route or you will get stuck with retroactive interest!

Digital TV is considered 480p or better, and is usually HDTV ready (generally supporting 1080i.)

A comb filter is nothing to do with H/DTV.

If the sound is horrible, I would stick with your current set, and make sure it's calibrated correctly (if you're not getting the whole widescreen picture, maybe you have something configured wrong??) and buy a decent sound system (since you seem to indicate you're using the TV speakers??) with that money. A 32" set with good sound system will make for a great HT experience, provided you're sitting reasonably close.

(In case you're curious: A comb filter is what separates the chroma (color) signal from the luma (black and white) signal over RF or composite connections. You need a comb filter because of the way that the color signal is tacked onto the b/w signal [which is why an old b/w tv can still receive the current color broadcasts without any problems.] Other connection interfaces like s-video and component by-pass the comb filter altogether and provide a pre-seperated chroma/luma signal.)

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you get the whole picture on your 32" set? Do you mean you want something that's progressive scan?
I'm playing the End of Evangelion dvd on it, and it looks like the picture it a tiny bit too big for the tv, and the result is I get a widescreen picture that looks like an inch was cut off on both sides.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
That sounds like it's just normal overscan. All TVs have this problem.

...and I agree with Bill's suggestion that you should first get a decent sound system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks