What's new

reccomend a sub please (1 Viewer)

zane

Stunt Coordinator
what's a good 10" powered sub that has tight bass at a reasonable price, under $300 preferably. i was looking at a klipsch but some people say its not loud at all and blows lots of fuses, I'm not looking for a boomy sub thats loud as hell but more of a sub to fill the low end my towers don't fill

my setup

sony da1es es receiver
Cambridge soundworks tower II's
CS centerstage
CS S200 surrounds

zane

Stunt Coordinator
what the fuck does that mean, any way the paradigm PDR-10 looks like a good sub, can anyone comment on it thats hear it

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Not a bad sub, not a great sub. Plenty of porting, but tuned too high. Muddied up fast bass note sequences in comparison to my new sub. Lacks any useful below 30hz output. Sounds like its straining with most action movies at reasonable volume levels (about 10dB below reference).
If you can stretch the budget to the Hsu VTF2 it would definately be worth it. Another slightly less expensive option is the Adire Rava (sealed 12" sub). There is also the 10" Dayton Titanic kit at Parts Express for $350.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15171&DID=7
I'd recommend wedging and glueing a couple vertical braces in it though.
If you can build the enclosure yourself, that opens up several other options at the $300 price point.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
NHT single 10 inch powered sub list around 750 but can be had in your price range , good sound, goes down to about 30 at a decent volume.
You will not reach the "Holy Grail" in your price range with a 10, but you can have a good bottom, clean, accurate, and will add the "weight" you want for HT or music.I think it is called "Sub One"

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
If you have a amp and a sub-out you can build a fine (kit) passive sub for the money you are talking about, I would go with the kit as someone has already done the math.
Earlier I recommended NHTs Sub One but I thought your funds were more . . . Sorry.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Polk PSW350. Really pretty decent sound and pounds pretty good in small room. You should be able to find one below $300. Caveat - has no usable output below about 32 Hz.

Ed

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
If you are not going to build it yourself...which would be the best bang for the buck...then I would definitely go HSU VTF2!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Dustin,
You recommended the 10" Dayton Titanic kit at Parts Express for $350 and said "If you can build the enclosure yourself, that opens up several other options at the $300 price point." Could you throw a little more info my way on that or just point me in the right direction.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You mean what you can do building the enclosure yourself?
http://members.tripod.com/~terrycthe...um/page12.html
You can check out my webpage as well. The Twins can be built individually for ~$300. Up a little over $400 you can build a Tempest or Dayton DVC15" based sub.
This is very cool if you have an appropriate space:
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/kraushome/IB.html
There is a new Dayton driver perfect for this. Two of them would run you $220, and the PE300-794 plate amp would be another $120. Build the manifold and you'll have a sub few can equal.
The DIY advanced section of this forum is a wealth of knowledge two. Do some searchs on what you learn from the above pages to find more info.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
What about Roof Vents, very similar to the setup I have only I use 2 tens compound loaded on top of 2 more tens that are compound loaded top 2 vent towards front, bottom 2 vent towards rear, +/- 1db 125 to 30 down 6 at 22

george king

Supporting Actor
Go to ruteledge audio Link Removed and have Brian build you one to your specs. Nice guy (I have not bought anything from him yet, but he has been extremely nice and rapid in answering my frequent and pesky questions).
You get the advantage of DIY without having to actually build it yourself (if you have no skills like me).
Tell him George sent you.
Hope this helps.

zane

Stunt Coordinator
ok i've kinda narrowed it down to the paradigm pdr-10 or the adire audio rava which has a shiva and a 250 watt adire amp, I would build a sub myself since I did one for my car but I want a real professional looking enclosure and I don't think i can build one that looks that good. which one of the two would sound better or is there another sub which would sound better for the money, would it be better to save up to $550 and get a powered svs sub, I don't need extremely thundering bass I just need a good bass to fill in with my tower II's

is there anywhere to get nice sealed or ported sub enclosures online?

zane,

I have the Tower II's as well. Save your money. Go the SVS route. My speakers have come alive since I got my 20-39PCi. An incredible difference.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Rava will sound better (vs PDR10). If you don't need high levels in the last octave the Rava should keep you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks