What's new

Reccomend a center speaker (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hi,

My dorm room was burglarized over my winter break and all my HT stuff was stolen. Long story short, I got a check from the insurance company any bought some new stuff. My new mains are Polk RT35i bookshelf speakers. For now, we're using my roommates center until I can find one that matches well with mine. The sales person at Circuit City tried to sell me a Polk center but it was $250 and that was a bit hard for me to tack onto the 700 dollars worth of other stuff I was buying that day. Anyone have any reccomendations, preferably something not too expensive(if I could find something that matched well for around $150 that'd be nice). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
funny...the cs250 has been on sale for 199.00 at cc lately. How long ago did you go to buy? Actualy...the 250 would be the Ideal center to "timber" match your system. You could go with the 175..but its kind of week and does not ofer the same tweeter. If you dont get a matching center...then in reality..you wasted your 700... cause the system is not realy going to sound right. The center channel is one of the most important pieces in HT... the only other thing you could do...is to run in Phantom mode..wich some folks like and recomend... this would give you the "effect" of a center with out one...I'd do this rather then get an un-matched center channel.

good luck...thomas (polk user)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Thomas,

Thanks for the input. Anyone else care to share their opinion? I'm thinking I may end up getting a Polk center anyway(I think they have one that's $150 and another that's $200) but I'm curious if anyone knows of any other centers that might integrate well with my Polk mains.

Martin G

Second Unit
I had the polk CS-245i before i upgraded to the 400. It was one of the best sounding speakers I have ever had. In fact, in hindsight it might have sounded even better then the 400. Of course that might just be buyers remorse talking. Or the fact that the 400 isn't broken in yet.

In either case I think you will find that it is well worth your money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks